WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Coconut Milk Caramel and Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk




Over the last couple months my entertainment has been trying to figure out how to not just feed Abby a well balanced highly nutrition and easily digestible diet, but you cannot help but want a few of those comfort food items too!

I have been incredibly impressed with Abby's willingness to try just about anything I make that is free of allergens- and some of the food has been questionable! We have started scouting seasonings that are allergy safe(not easy!)so hopefully that will help with the cooking :-)


Yesterday, someone asked about a corn-free carmel and I remembered tucking a carmel recipe that was made out of coconut milk away. After I shared it with him, I decided since I had a few minutes I would give it a try!


Vegan Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce
-1 14 ounce can coconut milk - regular or lite will work
-1/2 c. brown sugar(watch for "carmel" coloring or "flavoring" when buying brown sugar, those are corn based)
-1/4 c. white sugar(we have done well with Imperial sugar)
-pinch of salt to taste(we only use pink Himalayan now)
-1/2 t. vanilla extract(check for allergy safety on all extracts)

In a sauce pan, stir coconut milk, sugars, and salt over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Raise heat to medium high and boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens - about twenty minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a minute or two, and add vanilla. If sauce has an undesirable gel-like or lumpy consistency, process in a food processor, or beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy! Refrigerate for up to one month.


So tastes amazing! When it was hot it looked pretty yummy, though I probably should have cooked it longer. However, once chilled in the fridge it developed that gel(hubby says snot)like texture... so next time, I think I will cook longer, cool on counter, beat it well with electric mixer and then stick in the fridge- hoping that will eliminate some of the odd consistency. IT really is delicious though!

My favorite thing I have made as far as sweet goes, is coconut sweetened condensed milk. Same idea as the carmel, just easier ! The flavor and texture I think is far higher quality then dairy sweetened condensed milk and using it as a base allows for a lot of allergy free dessert making!

Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
The original recipe for dairy-free sweetened condensed milk can be found here.

2 14oz. cans coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar

Simmer the coconut milk in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan. Fold in the sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce the volume by half (this will take about an hour).

1 comments:

Jenna said...

I am impressed with Abby's willingness to try new things! I am an adult and I don't know if I would be as willing.
When you got the handicap parking permit did Abby have to have an ID? We are wanting to get one for Matt but don't really want to have to get him an ID.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo