WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Another new favorite allergen free recipe!






My favorite Uncles leave tomorrow. I know it is time for them to go, and usually Derek and I are content to live as far away from family as we do, but for whatever reason I just don't want to see these guys go home! I have truly enjoyed them!


I have still had time to putter in the kitchen for Abby. She had a rough week this week. So, I had to find something that would appeal to her and encourage her to eat.


I did manage a gluten free, corn free,soy free, dairy free, nut free bread in the bread machine- it wasn't perfect but Abby was thrilled! We haven't found a sandwich bread either at the store or making at home that she could eat, so this was a huge accomplishment.


The recipe I am going to share is much easier though. I had a big bag of puffed brown rice in the pantry. With the limited foods Abby can eat she hasn't had anything crunchy like cereal or snacks or crackers in months. I decided to figure out making either some sort of "kettle" puffed rice or "caramel" puffed rice. It really turned out terrific. I think I burnt my sugars a touch and with the coconut oil instead of butter and no dairy, it really reminds of sugar smacks- not a bad a thing at all! I will be making this again and again.

Candied Puffed Rice

Put 1/3 c. coconut oil, 1/2 c. palm or coconut sugar (or other natural sugar) and 1/4 c. real maple syrup in a small saucepan. Add a pinch or two of pink himalayan salt.
Heat the mixture on medium high. Be sure to keep stirring. Bring to a boil and allow it to boil for 2 minutes, without letting it burn!
Pour over the 2 1/2 cups puffed rice or millet. Using a large wooden spoon, gently stir the puffed rice until all of the pieces are coated.
Spread the coated puffed rice onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake for about 15 minutes at 300 degrees. (mine seemed cooked at 10 minutes)
Store leftovers in an airtight container.

Here is a LINK to the original recipe that I tweaked and modified for Abby.

1 comments:

Jenna said...

That is so awesome!!! That seems like such a great treat!!!!!! I am sure you will be able to find a good sandwich bread recipe. You are so good in the kitchen!
Thank you for your support. I hate hard times like these. I hope that this is just a bad week for Abby and next week she is doing much better. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo