WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Everything BUT Oats Granola!




I am hopelessly turning into a crunchy mom... from understanding organic doesn't always mean healthy to which farmers in Houston have the safest foods to even going as far as making our own soaps when needed, I have converted from twinkie Mom to granola Mom :-) But Wait! The one thing I had not made yet was granola- so I could not be the crunchy food warrior quite yet!


At issue is that Abby is also allergic to oats. A shame because in the world of healthy,crunchy and raw ,oats reign supreme in the food arena. She is also allergic to nuts- pretty much every granola recipe has oats and nuts..


Today I fearlessly decided who needs oats or nuts in granola anyway?

Abby and I hauled out our squirreled away supplies of healthy and crunchy foods.- We used "rice and shine" hot cereal,unsweetened dried coconut,crushed up stale rice cakes, some ginger crackers that did not taste very good but were nice and crunchy.. dried blueberries,some dried diced figs,some rough ground flax,some plain puffed rice and millet. I would say about half was rice puffs and crushed rice cakes. We probably had about 4-5 cups of dried ingredients.


Then we used Alton Browns mix of oil(coconut for us),brown sugar, and maple syrup. We did double the sugars but not the oil(Maybe not completely crunchy yet! A real crunchy Mom would cringe at the amount of sugar we used!!! LOL) since we decided some of our crunchy items might need an extra dose of sugar to hide their funky flavors we also used a liberal shake or two of pink himalayan salt..


His recipe says an hour or so to bake it- which I tried on the first batch and it way over cooked it in my toaster oven with convention function.(too hot to turn the gas oven on today!)it ended up taking about 30 minutes of bake time stirring every 10 for the perfect No oats granola!


Abby and I are now actually looking forward to trying new items and tucking them away in the pantry as reject items. Eventually we will have 5 cups worth to coat in maple syrup,sugar and dried blueberries! Might become a monthly activity- who knew making granola could be this easy or thrifty or fun??


1 comments:

Jenna said...

I love to make granola. It is so good!!!! I am glad you were able to find away to make it with out oats. I always add a little extra sugar as well, but mine is usually in the form of honey. Can Abby have honey?
If I haven't told you yet my new blog URL is mtgjourney . blogspot . com

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo