WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Leftover Rice Lemon-Coconut Bars






Abby is completely hooked on Lundberg jasmine rice- She honestly would eat it daily with no complaint. I think part of the draw is that I always end up with leftover rice which gets quickly turned into rice pudding for her. I make it baked or on the stovetop with rice, coconut milk, dried blueberries, nutmeg and usually sneak an egg or two in... and of course a healthy dose of either molasses and honey, or honey, or sugar, what isn't to like about that?

However, I am tired of making rice pudding. I thought surely someone out there on the web would have other uses for that leftover rice. I spent two days browsing blogs, pinterest, the web.. I found a zillion different recipes for rice pudding and some dog biscuits, a muffin recipe that simply threw in a cup of cooked rice, and a few really yummy looking savory recipes for leftover rice, but none of them seemed to inspire me.


As you have probably noticed, I am hooked on making treats out of the zero calorie shirataki noodles, which is what really got me thinking about what I could do with this leftover rice.

I decided if I could puree shirataki noodles, surely I could puree rice! (I admit, I am hooked on the show Chopped on the Food network, and when those chef's aren't sure what to do with an item- they puree it!)

I really like the sweetened condensed coconut milk(recipe on this blog entry)and have been trying to figure out what in the world I could do with it. I also had a bag of organic lemons that needed to be used sooner then later. So lemon-coconut, eggs with pureed rice! I really thought I had less then a 50 percent chance this was going to be anything that Abby would be willing to eat, but needed the entertainment! And did I already say that I am getting very tired of rice pudding recipes for Abby????

Eggs from the farm that are free range and fed no grain are one of the few proteins Abby tolerates right now. So of course I had to add those in.. I started looking up lemon custard recipes.. I hoped the end result would at least be some sort of lemon custard like base- but I was delighted when this turned out like a moist/cake like bar.

I threw the rice, eggs, lemon juice and sweetened condensed milk in my ninja and blended and blended. When I tasted it, it needed a little more sugar and despite tons of time pureeing, the rice still had a grainy texture in the batter. After pureeing more the graininess persisted and I decided to quit fighting it- I threw in 1/2 cup unsweetened organic coconut flakes and a dash of salt for good measure. I loved the flavor now, but how to cook it?

Figured with that many eggs it would need a water bath. So I greased an 8x8 with coconut oil and put a baking dish with an inch or so of of water under it and poured the now almost alarmingly thick batter into the greased pan. Threw it in the oven at 375 for 40-45 minutes and hoped for the best! Worst case would be a few extra dishes and work for the garbage disposal :-)

When I finally got brave enough to call it cooked, I pulled it out and it had turned into a firm cake like texture- at first I was worried, after all, I kept thinking "custard" when I was throwing things in my ninja.. but I decided to cut a tiny piece and taste it- WOW like a coconut/lemon brownie! I don't know if the rice cooked down finally, or if the coconut bits and flakes hid the grainy- but it turned out terrific!
I have another allergy safe recipe for Abby! No nuts,no soy,no dairy, no shellfish,no corn,no messing with gluten-free flours.. or the other zillion foods we avoid for Abby.

It reminded me of lemon bars(more texture then gel but soft) or pumpkin brownies.. I popped it in the fridge last night. I figured chilled since it was a heavier texture and thought maybe some fresh blueberry sauce over the top tomorrow..or maybe it would need an icing. Regardless I was done with it till today.

Preheat oven to 375

3 to 3 1/2 cups cooked Lundberg rice(roughly measured, I spooned it clumped out of the rice pot it was from the night before)
4 egg yolks(I had read that the white might block the bodies ability to absorb as much biotin)
2 eggs(yolk and white figured 2 more whole eggs couldn't hurt anything!)
1/2 cup lemon juice(we use fresh organic, but bottled would be fine for most- I did grate a bit of zest in though for good measure)
1/2 half recipe of sweetened condensed coconut milk(take about an hour I had made it earlier in the day using half the recipe HERE)
1/2 cup granulated sugar(from a health standpoint I should have used honey, but as I did not think it was going to turn out I did not want to waste good honey!)
1 dash of salt
1/2 cup unsweetened organic flaked coconut.

I dumped all the ingredients into my ninja except the coconut flakes and started pureeing. I kept blending until it was as smooth as I thought I could get it. I then dumped the coconut in and pureed for another minute or so.

I greased an 8 X 8 pan with coconut oil. I have a larger shallow ceramic pan that I put about an inch of water in for a "water bath". While the batter sat on the counter it did thicken, it still poured with ease into the greased pan though. I placed the 8x 8 in the water bath in the oven- for 40-45 minutes. When the top of the "cake" feels firm to the touch it is done.







Next time I make it I am going to try to make it without the water bath- it might not be necessary.
Very good chilled on it's own, but stunning with a warm blueberry sauce poured over the top.




2 comments:

Jenna said...

that looks really good! What a wonderful treat for Abby.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'm going to try it for my little boy who has a bunch of allergies too!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo