WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Abby's Perfect Pudding-Allergen Free!


(NOTE: Allergen free for Abby, this recipe does have eggs. You could use my substitutions of products in an egg free pudding recipe, I saw one on Allrecipes)

For the most part over this past few months I have managed to transform most of Abby's favorite foods into allergen safe options, my one struggle has been vanilla pudding.

I have tried rice milk,coconut milk,arrowroot,tapioca flour,- in every combination - and it turns out with a funky gluey texture, or too translucent..I think I was on try number 4 and none were anything any of us would touch with a ten foot pole!


This weekend I gave it one more try. I used Rice Dream original(not enriched, a tiny bit of gluten but clean of corn). I also used granulated sugar that I I keep in a tub with a few vanilla beans for vanilla flavor. My new ingredient that made the pudding work was a cheap box of kosher potato starch from the clearance rack- 78 cents for the box of that magical starch! LOL

The pudding is smooth, light, no gluey texture- honestly, I might like this better then the traditional dairy,egg and cornstarch version- and it was so easy!

The recipe that I transformed is Creamy Vanilla Pudding on allrecipes.


Here is Abby's Perfect Pudding-

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups rice milk,
Pinch salt(pink himalayan)
3/4 cup sugar(Imperial or C&H)
3 tablespoons potato starch(I dissolved the starch in a few tablespoons of cold rice milk)
3 egg yolks(original is 2 yolks,but I use 3 for the protein/fat ratio)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(if you can have it or have it homemade)
1 tablespoon coconut oil(I think I just used 2 teaspoons, we try to reduce fat at every turn for Abby's sensitive system)

Directions:

Place milk and salt and sugar in saucepan; heat over medium-high. beat egg yolks in separate bowl. When milk comes to a gentle boil, remove saucepan from the heat and temper eggs back into milk mixture. Return to the heat and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in potato starch and coconut oil(If it is too thick, don't panic, just whisk in some more rice milk, too thin? Mix a bit more potato starch with rice milk and add in). Pour into individual dishes. Serve warm or cold.

The hot milk is enough to "cook the potato starch". It did not thicken any further with refrigeration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo