WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Allergy free Poodle Cookies!




Our dogs are really like our "other" children. With as much time as we spend at home they offer us entertainment, comfort and love. The larger poodle, Evie has been Abby's companion. If Abby is sick, Evie is sure to be spooned up next to her in bed. We have nicknamed her "Nurse Evie".. IF Evie thinks Abby needs to get up she will run circles around her and howl to get Abby to follow her room to room. Evie is also a very willing food tester- We tease that Evie is checking for food allergens and not being a piggy! LOL Really though, if we are going to eat clean so are the dogs.

A few weeks ago, Abby felt up to feeding the Poodles. I had bought a "cheap" dog food since I was too lazy to run to the pet store to buy their special gluten-free, corn-free kibble. Abby opened the bag and instant asthma and headache. Evie ate the food and spent two days puking over every inch of my house. Go figure, even our dog has allergies!


Now we are being very careful with their food too! The little one Sasha was the product of a puppy mill, she just could not get any sweeter but I am afraid she did not get the nutrition she needed as a pup- she is about the dumbest poodle you will ever meet! LOl Unfortunately she does have many health issues from bad hips,knees, loss of eye sight.. Nutrition cannot reverse these issues but we hope we can give her a better quality of life. Neither of them need commercial chemicals,corn,soy,dairy any more then Abby or the rest of us do!

Again, found this recipe on Pinterest. I tweaked it a little, you know I cannot resist making each recipe my own. I added rice protein because Evie is addicted, I used PB2 instead of regular peanut butter because Evie like Abby has a hard time digesting fats(seriously, she really does!) I added a spoon of honey, a sprinkle of pink himalayan salt cause if they are good for us, they are good for them! While I made those I also made safe allergen free vanilla wafers for Abby- My cookie baking should be done for at least a month!

These because they have less fat turn out more chewy then crisp- but Evie and Sasha don't mind one bit!



Find the original recipe HERE


Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin purée, canned or fresh
3 tbsps PB2
2 Tablespoons rice protein
a couple tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon honey
a couple pinches of pink himalayan



Preheat the oven to 350°F. Throw it all in a bowl and mix(I promise your dogs won't mind if it is overmixed or under mixed) If you pinch a piece and it crumbles, add a little water. If it’s really sticky, it’s too wet and you’ll need to add a little flour. Gather the dough together and form into a ball. Place on a lightly floured work surface and roll it out to about 1/4-inch thickness. You can either use a cookie cutter to cut out cute shapes or use a knife to cut squares or strips. I am pretty sure the dog doesn’t care, but I rather prefer the cute shapes. I gather the scraps together and roll them out again and again until I’ve used up the dough. Place the cookies on a baking sheet. They can be crowded pretty close together since they don’t expand much. Bake 15-20 minutes for softer treats or 30 minutes for hard treats (Kaweah likes crunchy treats, just like her person – me). Let cool completely. Makes 100+ 1-inch heart-shaped dog treats.



Dogs don't mind ugly or broken cookies! :-)

1 comments:

Jenna said...

I love poodles! I hope when I get older to have one! I am glad that you found doggy treats they like that Abby can feed them.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo