WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Abby's Allergy-Free Fudge!

Not Chocolate, but that great rich and creamy texture that is unmistakably fudge!



Old-Fashioned Penuche Fudge
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup coconut milk(half "cream" off the top and half fluid off the bottom)
2 Tablespoons Lyles Golden Syrup
1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla
use coconut oil and grease loaf pan(8x8 pan spreads it thin, so a smaller loaf pan would give better size pieces)
Combine sugar,milk,Lyle's golden syrup,salt in 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugars are dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, to 234 on candy thermometer(or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water.) (I used the candy thermometer it did not take too long for it to reach temp.).

Remove from heat; add coconut oil. Cool mixture to 120 degrees without stirring.(Bottom of pan will be luke-warm.) (This seemed to take forever- probably around a hour)Add vanilla and beat vigorously and continuously until candy is thick and no longer glossy.(mixture will hold its shape when dropped from spoon) Spread mixture evenly in oiled pan. Cool until firm. (It was clear, and turned milky with more blending, it stayed glossy forever and I started wondering if that was the coconut oil.. it did start to go matte finally and it held into ribbon shapes as I mixed- I decided that was enough!)

I strongly suggest lining your pan with tinfoil or parchment paper that is well greased- what I found is the coconut oil if too warm melts, too cold won't come out- next batch I will line my pan, chill, and pull the tin with fudge out, will be easier and tidier to remove the fudge. :-)

NOTES: This came from my Mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook. She received it as a wedding gift and spent the first few years of marriage attempting to cook everything in the book! When my Mom was terminal and asked if there was anything I wanted to remember her by, without a hesitation I claimed her old cookbook. She teased me about my sentimental ways, but I pointed out that over the years, divorce, remarriage, and the very few things she saved, she kept that cookbook-ha! I know where I got my sentimental side from.Whenever I miss her, or a special food she would cook, it gives me such comfort to flip through its tired and torn pages. I keep meaning to buy a laminator and start laminating each page to preserve it. Over the years at various thrift stores I have seen similar books in far better condition, but this one is very special- my Mom wrote personal notes about each recipe- from Great! to Eh! to YUCK! Whether she liked it but no one else did, or whether my Dad liked it and no one else did.. to add more of something or less..who's wedding she baked something for.. which neighbor shared a meal with what recipe. it is a book of some of my very best childhood memories.




Funny thing is, she did not make one single candy- no checkmarks, no spills, no stains and no folds. I was flipping through it and decided it was time someone tried one of those candy recipes! :-)

I swapped Lyles golden for the corn syrup, coconut oil for the butter and once it had cooled instead of beating it with a wooden spoon as the book directed I used an electric hand mixer! But just tickled with the end result. The Lyles has a "butter" flavor, and it reminds me of butterscotch brownies in flavor.

You can also make this recipe into chocolate fudge- by using 2 cups of granulated sugar instead of just one and eliminating the brown sugar. You also add either 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate or 1/3 cup cocoa powder to the sugar at the beginning.


Old cookbooks are terrific to learn how to cook with "real" foods. Anything before the 1970's is less likely to require a premade mix(like instant pudding). I find they are simpler recipes that are much easier to substitute allergy friendly ingredients(like Lyles instead of corn syrup). Half priced books isn't the best for the oldie's but local salvation army's, church thrift shops.. anywhere that sells clothes from at least 2 decades back is your best bet! :-)

1 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

That sounds awesome!!! It makes me want to go out and find some Lyles Golden syrup!!! (my mom had the same cookbook...maybe a few years newer)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo