WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Socca- easy, delicious and safe for Abby

It really has become a daily ritual for me to google for foods for Abby to eat. Somedays I come up empty, and then other days I score a home run.

We have been adding more chickpea to Abby's diet. We have found if it is in flour form, or pureed she is able to tolerate it very well. I think I have posted before that chickpea's are full of amazing nutrition, which makes me anxious to find more recipes to incorporate it into.

A few months ago I had seen a recipe for Socca bread in a gluten free/dairy free cookbook. Then a few weeks ago on one of the travel channel shows they were talking about Socca in South America and in Europe.

At that point, I had to make some.

1 cup bean flour
1 cup water
1 Table spoon olive oil(we used coconut)
seasoning- we like heavy rosemary, but depending you can season it however you wish.

onion- if you are an onion lover, we diced and sauteed a good amount of onion and threw it in as well as we were a little worried that the bean flavor would be more then we could handle directly.

Preheat oven to 425- we used a 10 inch metal cake pan, we heated the pan until very hot in the oven, pulled it out and quickly added a tablespoon of grapeseed oil and poured the mixed Socca in- baked for 40 minutes.

It was a hit- easy, flavorful and everyone loved it.

We try to use less fat for Abby. I think most of the recipes for Socca call for a lot more oil and always olive oil. There are big variables in texture. Some bake theirs to be more dense and custard like, others thinner and chewy. Some use a pizza stone, etc. We are playing with it to see which version we like the best.


Great thing, is you can mix the bean flour in the morning and keep it in the fridge- the longer you let it sit, the smoother the finished texture gets.

My favorite way to read about Socca recipes, is to search google images. I search for "Socca recipes" and pages of terrific images are there- from a crepe like texture to more of a cornbread texture.

Nothing beats a quick, easy, and nutritious side dish.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I would love to see a picture. The directions remind me of pop overs.

Diane said...

usually I do take pics :-) But, the last two batches were devoured before I could get the camera out.. But, if you google "socca" in Google images you will find tons of pics. And yes, you can make it so it has that "popover" density, but it doesn't rise around the edges like a popover. :-)

We are going to try making the crepes version next for wraps. I will snap a picture of those :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo