WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Update- Better Coconut Caramel

picture from the recipe LINK below)

We have been on the perfect caramel quest. Making dairy free for Abby and with dairy for her sister. I just wasn't too happy with our first caramel attempt for Abby. Since I had never made regular before I decided that is where I should start.

Had a batch or two of "burnt" or "grainy", but finally conquered it with some level of accuracy.


I opted to use the "dry" method for making caramel. No temperature watching. All about the color and the smell, a very visual approach.


It is as simple as it sounds. I pour the sugar into a thick bottom pot and make it a level layer. Turn the flame on medium-low, and leave it alone! :-) When it starts to melt and brown around the edges I move it around a bit, to avoid hot burnt spots. I find you don't want to be messing with it too much.

When it is melted and a nice caramel color(a few lumps won't be an issue)I turn off the heat and stir in a tablespoon of coconut oil. Then quickly followed by some coconut full fat milk from a can. PResto! Lots of stirring, but so far our best batch. If you notice lumps(I usually have some) I simply put a fine metal mesh strainer over a bowl or jar and strain the caramel- beautiful! Keeps the fridge for a good few weeks.


This LINK was the guide/recipe I followed to perfect the coconut caramel sauce- the pics and directions are terrific.

Just simply substitute full fat coconut milk(depending on the brand of canned milk you will get more or less cream- the more cream in the can the better, you may need the cream from more then 1 can to get the right amount.)

I use coconut oil- no problems at all! You don't get the "butter" flavor of course but still delicious!

Because my vanilla hooch is still curing, I skipped vanilla extract, and opted for a 1/2 teaspoon of pink himalayan for a "salted" caramel sauce.


Candy making is just one of those area's I haven't explored past making easy fantasy fudge(chips, marshmallow fluff etc)but right now we have only found 1 candy that is packaged that Abby can eat- which in a family of sugar lovers is not an acceptable amount of candy! :-) The candy she can eat is called Reed's ginger - they are like ginger flavored taffy- really yummy.


With the holidays approaching I may have to figure out corn free marshmallows, or corn free/dairy free /chocolate free fudge...

Abby is still struggling with some edema, but was down quite a few pds yesterday. She was moving around better last night. So hoping she has finally got back to her pre-travel baseline. Last night she tried a piece of gluten free buckwheat bread, and loved it! So another new one! Plus, buckwheat(gluten free)has a terrific nutrition profile. We decided that it would make a great stuffing for this Thanksgiving- so making safe stuffing is on the "figure it out" list. :-)
Here is a pic of her "healthy" bread that is the new favorite, will post recipe another day.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo