WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Not Much...


(Last week I made caramel candy for Abby- still need to tweak the recipe for consistent results- but they were a hit! Hopefully next week will get that posted.)

QUICK TIP: Before I forget- you can make coconut milk/buttermilk. Add 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup full fat coconut milk- let rest about 10 minutes. If you have leftover, freezes well for future use.


I have been busy with my own projects this week and haven't done any new recipes for Abby.

The short lived cool weather last week was a trigger for me to do some much needed catch up on my organization, deep cleaning and various projects I seem to always have piled up around here.


I have been playing more with chickpea nufu. I have found that if you "dry fry" the tofu, and really get it dry, it will hold it's shape very very well. Last week I dry fried it until it was quite dry. (Dry fry- no oil, very low temperature, lots of flipping- the purpose is to cook out as much water as possible) I then threw into marinade for 24 hours- and was excited to see it had held it's shape completely despite the soaking. Even my tofu hating family members were very impressed with the final texture and flavor and grilling it. I will likely play with it again this week - I have some good ideas on how to flavor and use the texture to make something tasty and interesting.

Abby is doing alright. I almost hate to brag even when she is having an exceptional day, every time I do it is just asking for a bad day! LOL- So I am a little superstitious. No bad days, some iffy ones but pretty stable. We are both getting ancy to try some new foods. I am very glad to say that she has been tolerating small servings of the coconut yogurt. This was a HUGE step for us. I have been feeling pretty strongly that Abby's stability is pretty dependent on her gut health. This year I have read more and more about how much of our immunology is based in our gut- who knew right? Based on the GI issues she developed after the last round of antibiotics last year, my "gut" says getting her gut flora healthy is an important step on this journey.

She did try the cucumber, and wasn't allergic- but apparently her taste buds disagreed - kind of funny really, she really disliked the flavor! She tried a couple times to eat it since she was very impressed with the nutrition, but just no way for her to get past her repulsion! LOL. So, yesterday I mixed plain coconut yogurt, coconut sour cream, a touch of dill, parsley, garlic, onion flakes, salt a touch of pepper- and it was close enough to Ranch dip to make Abby very happy! It will make a great sandwich spread, salad dressing(thinned with a little coconut milk) or veggie dip. Love it when we have success. She is off the eggs right now- they were giving her "warning" signs so before we developed a reaction we have had to cut them out mostly. Still adding to baked goods, but for now none straight- a little bothersome since much of her protein intake was egg based the last couple months. So fingers crossed she continues to handle chicken, chickpea and rice protein. If we have a brave moment we really need to try a couple more protein sources again- maybe she has healed up enough to tolerate one now.

Back to hunting dust bunnies- would rather be doing kitchen science(I did order some ultra-tex 3 and 6-that should be entertaining!) but whether I like it or not, environmental allergens are just as important to address when you have chronic health issues- clean air is as important as clean food. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo