WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Side Effect of Clean Eating.




Abby's diet changes have done wonders to stabilize her. She was able to leave the house twice this week. She has stopped losing weight. Best, she feels better. Is she cured? No. But, simply finding her the right fuel has done wonders. If I could possibly capture her improvements on film as I did with mine, hers would be as dramatic if not more so.

When Abby was struggling this winter, I was forced to look at myself. I had been eating my way through my emotions and stress over her health instead of working through them. I had that moment of how can I radically change what she eats, and eliminate everything that was a comfort food for her, yet keep abusing my own body?


Dramatic visual of clean eating. I too changed my diet to look at it from a more mechanical viewpoint. Food needed to be fuel, not pleasure, not social- just fuel. If I truly loved Abby and myself I needed to be there with her making difficult changes too.


Somehow, it eased my stress to be a part of project elimination, and I know it helped her not feel so alone, different or alienated from our normal in our home. Frankly, I needed it.


I don't really see skinny vs chunky when I look at this picture, I see a Mom who decided the best way to support Abby to eat the right fuel, was to set the example.


It is a struggle everyday. I want McDonalds, pizza, shoot, a pack of oreo's.. a bag of chips, some bread in a bag...and every time I see a kraft mac and cheese commercial I start to drool! I miss them terribly. Then I look at Abby and feel ashamed- she will never be able to eat commercial food again.. she takes such joy in the new flavors I have introduced and has worked so hard to fuel her body properly- knowing that every chip or slice of pizza I eat, is something Abby will never be able to eat again and she has handled the loss of "Western" food with such grace, it keeps me clean.


Derek and Sara too have been working on seeing food as fuel. They have enjoyed the food trials and new flavors we have brought into our home.


As they say, every cloud has a silver lining. Abby's illness has radically changed our views on food, and life, and family. I will do anything to help Abby and I now have the "visual" to prove it. I wish it got easier, and hope it does.. this is a huge change in our lives that we now need to embrace. I am so proud of my family,we all have gone the extra mile to set a good example and support Abby. There is so little we can do, but tackling the chemicals, processed foods, that are making a lot of American's fat and sick- we can and have done it.

Now to keep it up. I don't want to go back to where she was ever again. If our changes in food can prevent it, or even slow it, then it will make it easier to stick with it.

2 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

I've been having trouble posting comments on blogs from my phone...but I had to get on the computer so I could comment on this one! WOW...you look amazing! I think I need you to coach me to help me get this baby weight off! I think it's the breastfeeding that's preventing me from losing weight (with some people it helps, and others not so much)...but I'm so sick of being "chunky"!!

Diane said...

That happened to me too! I actually gained weight while I was nursing Abby- after a year of breast feeding, I weighed 15 more then when I gave birth to her! :-) I was sooooo annoyed at my friends that got skinny while they nursed.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo