WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Another corn-free,dairy-free,soy-free gluten-free, Candy-



The only candy that Abby can eat store bought is Reeds Ginger Candy. They are tasty but with the holidays coming I have been working to find a few recipes for her.


I did fudge, caramel(I will post that recipe soon!)and now divinity.

To be honest I avoided the divinity. Somewhere in my memory when I think of divinity I think of "icky" old lady candy! LOL Seemed like someone always brought a tray of it, dyed a lovely shade of pink to tempt me, but when I would pop it in my mouth it WAS NOT what I thought it would be! Things change. How the ladies would moan and groan over failed batches, too much humidity... Maybe I just had beginners luck, but it was easy!
The only substitution I used was Lyle's Golden Cane Syrup in place of the corn syrup. So far seems like Lyles works for many many corn allergic and so far no problems with Abby. In some recipes it seems I can replace equal amounts of the Lyles for the Corn Syrup, but have had a few recipes perform better with a different amount..

Divinity recipes are pretty standard. You may find food colors, or different flavored extracts or even nuts mixed in. Sometimes some changes in amounts of sugar or water. You may find it spread in a pan and cut into squares or dropped by spoonful. Apparently to make the spoonful look pretty takes some practice! Mine were very funky little fluffy bites- will do it better next time!

I think I figured out why I never liked divinity. Those sweet little ladies were giving me the stale stuff! LOl Fresh it really is divine! :-) Abby really enjoyed a nibble of this too! Thinking a couple drops of blueberry juice would turn them a neat purple/blue color- maybe next time.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups sugar(using domino's)
1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Cane syrup
1/2 cup water(we use purified for anything Abby eats)
2 egg whites
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(any flavor you would like my vanilla extract is working well that I made! will do follow up post soon.)
Directions:
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, Lyle's cane syrup and water and bring to a boil. Continue to boil, undisturbed, until the mixture reaches the hard-ball stage, 260 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

In a standing electric mixer(or hand mixer, but you gotta have power to make this stuff,I cannot imagine using a wooden spoon!), whip the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Working very slowly, add the sugar syrup in a thin, steady stream, and continue beating on high speed until the candy begins to lose its shine - this can take as long as 10 or 15 minutes, depending on your mixer. (When adding the hot sugar syrup to the egg whites, make sure to stop occasionally to scrape down the bowl if any syrup has collected on the sides. When the beaters are lifted out of the candy mixture, it should fall in a smooth thick ribbon that mounds on itself.

Working quickly, fold in the vanilla and drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool completely before serving. The candies will firm up as they cool. Store in an airtight container.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo