WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gluten Free/Dairy Free/soy free/corn free Cream Puffs!


Gluten free, dairy free,soy free and corn free.. and they turned out terrific! (The "powder" sprinkled on them is a touch of sweet rice starch, purely for "looks!")


Not sure what inspired me to make these for Abby, but I am pretty determined to make all of our old favorites minus the wheat,dairy and corn.

These did not "puff" as much as traditional cream puffs when they baked. When I have made "regular" ones I have had that happen and found if I cut them open and spoon out all the doughy stuff the crust/outside will stay crisp- did the same with these and they were still somewhat crisp in fridge full of pudding overnight. They were very crisp and a touch chewy in a good way before filling with pudding. I will make again and tweak the flours- might be able to get something that puffs up better.


Ingredients:
2/3 cup white rice flour
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 tsp guar gum
Pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup coconut oil
4 large eggs, room temperature

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper(or greased tinfoil), and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the white rice flour, sweet rice flour, guar gum, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a medium sauce pan, bring the water and butter to a boil. Once they have reached a boil, pour all of the dry ingredients in at once, and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, and the mixture looks similar to play dough. stir and cook for 1 minute.

Remove from heat add one egg at a time.(I used a fork for this, it will look awful but keep mixing,) Beat dough until the egg is completely incorporated before adding the next one. Repeat until all 4 eggs have been added.
Mix until the dough is smooth.
Spoon the dough (about a 1/4 cup per cream puff) onto prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2-inches between cream puffs.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door, and pierce each cream puff with a sharp knife. This will help any steam trapped inside them to escape, giving a nice crisp cream puff. Leave the cream puffs in the oven, with the door open a few inches, until the oven has cooled completely. I waited about 10 minutes and cut them open and scooped them out(the wet dough) using the coconut oil these did not fluff as much as I had hoped, but nice and crisp on the outside so worked just fine!
Once cream puffs have completely cooled, fill them with a sweet or savory filling. They are best served the same day, but can be stored in an air tight container. To crisp unfilled cream puffs again, place in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes.

I filled the ones in the picture with some Marshmallow frosting. I found the recipe on Pinterest. It is just egg whites and granulated sugar and really the easiest cooked frosting I have ever attempted!. Once I had the frosting whipped to my satisfaction, I gently added in some vanilla and a couple dashes of salt. The frosting doesn't have much flavor without it. This frosting has been in the fridge for 2 days and was still fluffy. Here is the link to the Marshmallow Frosting.
I also made some of Abby's perfect vanilla pudding I had posted here awhile back. I made it a hair thicker then usual. Abby said the ones filled with "frosting" were prettier, but she loved them chilled filled with the vanilla pudding.

2 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

These look amazing! Guar gum would be a new ingredient for us. Do you think it would work without it or subbing something?

Diane said...

I bet they would work without it. I was almost tempted to skip it, but I don't normally bake with just rice flours so I figured I better add it. With as many eggs and the baking powder, they should be okay. I am going to try them with my everyday gluten free baking mix and see if I can get more "puff" if you mess with them, and get them to puff more or make them without guar gum or xanthan let me know :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo