WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Homemade Extract Update(10 weeks)



I finally just could not resist opening up my extracts.

Lemon- gets a C+ . Definitely a lemon flavor and smell. Just not as concentrated as I had hoped. However, I am certain it will flavor something I make just fine! Plus, I don't always have a safe clean organic lemon on hand when I need it, hoping a splash of this will work.



Peach- Not sure how to grade it! It "tastes" a little peachy, but definitely has a unique floral undertone. Not sure how vodka and peach combine to make floral, but surely I will find a use for it? I spilled some on my hands and wow, it smelled just divine even after washing! So maybe I can add it to a homemade lotion? Soap? Some international inspired dessert that calls for rose water? Who know! It is bottled on the shelf though, if you have any good ideas, let me know! :-)

Coffee- A+. Literally "black magic". Potent, strong and insanely coffee flavored. Hands down my favorite. I "spiked" a cup of coffee with it and transformed my cup of cheap Joe into some extreme coffee house blend! LOL This I have plans for.. thinking coffee flavored coconut whipped cream, inside a coconut crepe.. Of course I will have to make a batch of coffee coconut ice cream. If you are wanting to make your own extracts you really ought to add coffee to your list. Fill a pint jar 1/2 to 3/4 full of coffee beans of your choice then fill the jar with potato vodka, shake 1 time a week for 6-10 weeks and you will be thrilled with the results.



Vanilla- I have used a bit, but really needs another month. This was my whole reason for starting this extract experiment. Commercial extracts either are loaded with chemicals that make Abby sick, and/or made with grain alcohol which 99 percent of the time if not more, means CORN! YUCK! The vanilla takes a long time. It only gets stronger each week. Next time, I will just jam a bunch of good quality cut vanilla beans right into the bottle, we use a lot of vanilla in everything.

Almond- the only one I did not mess with yet. I will get to it. Abby really cannot have nuts so not something I need to flavor her food, but I am curious how strong it will be for the rest of us, we are huge fans of anything almond flavored.

Extracts should be kept in dark bottles. I found these bottles on Amazon and they were perfect. Will I do it again? Absolutely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo