WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

More gf Sourdough! Gluten Free Sourdough English Muffins


As I was searching for some recipes to use my gluten-free sourdough starter(joe)I stumbled across a few english muffin recipes. I had absolutely no idea how English Muffins were made! Which of course made me want to try to make them. My first attempt above had all the right "flavor". Toasted it had a good texture, but was missing the nooks and crannies we all love to see in a good english muffin.

Second attempt, these turned out a little better. I skipped the step where you gently knead the dough, gf flours just don't like all the kneading. I also reduced the flour so it was as close to a thick batter as I could get it and still shape them. They rose better, but the tops all crackled. Also, because of the softer texture these spread more then rising so before I stuck them in the skillet I had to squeeze and press the edges some to "fatten" them up. Did not hurt the end result, but I think I will have to make this a few times to make them perfect, but the in the meantime they are perfectly tasty if not full of the nooks and crannies and a bit ugly! :-)There isn't a safe butter or margarine that Abby can eat, so she did not need those nooks and crannies to hold that yummy butter! Also nice to know you really can make anything at home. For round 3 I may go more "batter" and use empty clean water chestnut cans as molds- we will see!
Picture here of second attempt-see the cracks on top? The rough lumpy sides from my pressing them back in shape?


English muffins are corny because they dip the muffin on both sides in corn meal. I used millet flour instead! Millet flour is a bit grainy like corn meal, and yellow. Perfect!

I added the guar gum on round two- not sure it really did anything, we are trying to minimize the guar gum because of soy-thinking round 3 I will skip it again and see if the other changes are key.

Here is the LINK to my inspiration recipe.

Abby's gf Sourdough English Muffins-

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons yeast(we use red star)
1 cup gf sourdough starter
1 can or 2 cups coconut milk
3 1/2 cups all purpose gf flour
1 cup millet flour(we use arrowhead mills,Abby is more corn-lite)
3 tablespoons cane sugar(domino's)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt(pink himalayan of course)
2 teaspoons guar gum(SpiceHouse)

Preparation:

1Combine warmed coconut milk, sugar and yeast in large mixing bowl
2Add sourdough starter and mix until combined
3Add 2 1/2 cups of gf flour,guar gum ,and the salt, stir with wooden spoon until well combined
4Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour
5Stir down and add remaining gf flour to make a very soft dough bordering on batter.

7Divide dough into 16 equal pieces(flour your hands, it will be sticky!)
8Form each piece into a ball and flatten to 2 1/2 inch thick(it spreads more then rises)
9Dip each side of flattened muffin into millet flour to coat thickly
10Place coated muffins onto cookie sheet that is also thickly sprinkled with millet flour.
11Let rest in warm area for 1 hour
12Heat a dry, iron skillet on medium heat
13When hot, place three muffins gently into skillet
14Set timer for 6 minutes and allow muffins to crisp up (they will double in size and become very tall-so says the recipe, this did not happen for me, and I am blaming the gf part of it, and/or my starter)
15Very gently flip muffin over to brown remaining side for 2 more minutes
16Remove from heat and place on a platter
17Cover with dish towel to hold in heat so muffins cool slowly
18To eat, split with fork and toast before serving


2 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

How on earth do you find time in the day to cook so much?!?! I barely have enough time to brush my hair & shower...while you are not only cooking nonstop, but modifying recipe after recipe to fit Abby's needs!!! How do you do it??

Diane said...

This is what happens when the kids get older! :-) You have more time, right now your hands are full, but when they get older.. :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo