WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

So easy GF Sourdough Loaf




Most of my recipes I have used sourdough starter in are either quick breads or also include a packet of rapid rise.

I had way way too much starter that needed to be used this morning. No one will eat one more muffin or pancake around here- they just groan! LOL I was too lazy to haul out the bread maker. To be honest, I was not in the mood to make bread, more just playing and using up various ingredients.

So I threw some stuff in a bowl, mixed it and threw it in the loaf pan and walked away.

6 hours later- we had this,




I was pretty happy that I got a loaf to rise without extra yeast. I have read that it is common to leave a loaf of sourdough all night in the oven to rise, starter yeast takes longer, and gf flours without the gluten are questionable for consistent rising(at least for me!).


I sprinkled the loaf with some gf flour, used a serrated knife and placed a few cuts on my loaf(the cuts were pointless, it did not rise one bit more in the oven)- threw it in a 375 degree oven. Honestly, I just wasn't expecting it to turn out- but we got a little ugly, but sour, chewy and tasty loaf.


Sometimes less, IS more.


2 cups sourdough starter
2 cups gf flour(2 ish- may need more or less)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon salt.
(1/2 cup distilled warm water on hand)

As I said, I literally threw the stuff in the bowl. I did not measure. When I thought it was too thick, I added a touch of water. Basically I made a thick sourdough starter. I really wasn't expecting much. So I am guessing as I write this down. I do mix it very well, since I am not kneading my gf flour doughs it seems many recipes call for a good mixing instead. :-) Feels weird not to knead, but hey, there are advantages to everything!

My dough was a thick batter, barely a dough bordering on thick batter. I scraped it into a well greased loaf pan. Patted the top of the loaf to smooth a bit and rubbed a bit of grapeseed oil on it. Lately I have been crackling everything! so figured a bit of oil might stop that habit. However, you can see in my pic below, no luck! Still cracked.. I try not to cover with plastic wrap(can be corny) and have been just covering with a dish towel, I may have to find an alternative..

after about 6 hours(might have been 7) I happened to look at it and it had doubled in size.

Threw it(with a bit of gf flour sprinkled on it, and cuts ) into a preheated 375 oven for about an hour.



Once I pulled it, I pulled it out of the loaf pan as soon as I could to cool. Fingers crossed I can duplicate this so that I can improve it! LOL But it just goes to show, sometimes you just have to get into the kitchen and play with your food, you never know what you can do until you try!

Overall this is barely a C graded bread! Not a loaf I would take to a party. But, I am so thrilled I got a loaf to rise enough to call it a loaf just using a starter. Maybe the sourdough starter needs to stay out tonight, maybe tomorrow I will try again.. I bet it would taste good with more buckwheat,or teff... :-)

2 comments:

Dr. Jean Layton-GFDoctor said...

Just found your site and love so many of your recipes.
Wondering what your sourdough starter consists of? Do you have a recipe for it?
I put your blog on my blog roll, you are a definite benefit to the blogging world

Diane said...

Thank you! I will be visiting your site as soon as I finish typing this comment :-)

Here is the link to my blog page where I link to the blog I followed to start my starter and the changes I made to keep it gf.

http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/2012/10/gf-sourdough-starter-is-good-for-you.html

About every third feed I do add either more buckwheat or millet. I have my doubts that rice flours are adequate to keep it healthy. My starter is happier being feed often and used frequently. I have popped "him" in the fridge for 3 days at a time, and had no problem getting him rolling. I have read that often gf starters will fizzle out, or don't tolerate lengthy periods in the fridge.

This has been a learn as I go this year, and despite the circumstances that brought us on this journey, the journey has turned out to be very fulfilling- I am so grateful to bloggers such as yourself! Without all of you, my daughter would be either eating a very bland and boring diet, or perhaps her health would have continued to decline instead of improve. Thanks for stopping in and for the lovely comment! :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo