WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Abby's Ultimate Non-Dairy Eggnog



Dairy Free, Corn Free, Nut Free... Eggnog!
(for gluten-free use a homemade safe rice milk or other alternative milk that is certified gluten free)

I did see that So Delicious now sells a coconut egg nog, and if Abby did not have a corn allergy it probably would have been worth trying, the ingredients looked fairly clean. However, with her corn allergy, it was too risky- so I made our own. I was surprised at not only how easy, but even the dairy lovers around here gave this a huge thumbs up!

2 can's full fat coconut milk(or homemade equivalent)
1 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk( or 3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup additional coconut milk)
1/2 cup rice milk(or other non-dairy milk of your choice.)
4 egg yolks(freshest eggs are best)
1/2 teaspoon mace(or more 1/2 t is just a suggestion,same with the nutmeg.)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(I used closer to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the homemade)
dash of salt



Throw all the ingredients into your blender. Blend well.

Pour into saucepan and on medium heat warm until thickens slightly- DO NOT BOIL! You will ruin the eggs.( if you get scrambled eggs don't toss, strain it.) You want it to heat for a couple reasons, a) safety. I have seen plenty of eggnog recipes with raw egg, sorry that is just not okay for most families. b) to thicken,it adds a quality of richness to your finished product.


Allow to cool down some then pour into container(I had a fido jar in front of me, so that worked for me!) and refrigerate till completely chilled(overnight.)

IF your egg nog gets too thick when chilled- Don't Panic! Pour the cold eggnog into your blender, add 1/2 cup rice milk(or your choice of alternative milk)at a time and blend until the consistency appeals to you.

We like it thick. We like a nice dash of mace or nutmeg on that! :-) Use spices to taste. We tend to like stronger flavors.

NOTE: You have 4 leftover egg whites.. Don't waste them! Add them to french toast tomorrow, or make a batch of waffles and fold whipped egg whites in, or how about some scrambled eggs? 2 whole eggs and 4 whites makes a generous amount of scrambles for two! Or, if you have a sweet tooth, make marshmallow frosting! We keep the frosting in a sealed container for a week and it stays ready to use.

UPDATE: Since posting yesterday, I have had folks ask, "where can I buy sweetened condensed coconut milk?" To the best of my knowledge, you cannot, but beyond easy to make and keeps in the fridge for at least 2 weeks.

2 cans coconut milk(or equivalent homemade,again full fat)
1 1/2 cup sugars

In saucepan, simmer slowly on medium low until reduced by aprox 50 percent. You can also add a touch of vanilla if you want.. I am guessing mine usually takes a couple hours. I stir now and then to aid in the evaporative process but the key is the lowest possible temperature while maintaining a slow low soft boil. It will thicken as it chills. It may turn in color a bit, a very very soft toasted color(like super light caramel, I am guessing this is the sugar) I store in fridge in glass canning jars, but whatever works. :-)

With the holiday's upon us, this would be a very handy item to keep in the fridge for substituting in your favorite holiday recipes..

2 comments:

Jenna said...

That is awesome!!!!! I love your holiday recipes.. I know we don't have allergies that we know of, but I can not imagine how incredible your blog is for other corn free homes. I am amazed at how much I have learned reading your blog! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the holiday recipes, you are just going so far beyond I have really seen for your daughter to enjoy the holidays.
Matt is still really young so I want the holidays to amazing for him. I still can't imagine not starting my shopping like you have, but I am sure it is easier now that your kids are older. I had amazing Christmas' when I was younger they were so full of magic and joy. I want Matt to really experience that, and I really hope that he does.

Diane said...

Ah thanks Jenna! Every time I tell myself I have done enough, I look at her and see her getting better and spring off the couch and hit the kitchen running! :-)

We went ALL out when the girls were little too! I would get so excited about their christmas I could not sleep christmas eve and would finally go wake them up at 5am because I could not handle waiting another second! :-)

At 17 and 20- well, they are mostly all about the money anyway! Though they have their shopping almost done! Way ahead of their Mom! :-) We are just gonna pass on the decorating etc. Skip the christmas cards, extra power etc=they aren't going to miss :-) and the extra savings will help a few families- but these lessons at 17 and 20 are very different then the ones we teach when they are little :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo