WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Blueberry Nougat Corn Free!



I was pinning the other day and saw a recipe for almond nougat. Abby cannot have nuts but I was intrigued, nougat is really very similar as far as ingredients to divinity, you are just taking it a few steps further to get a harder and chewier product, figured I would give it a try.


I decided I would use the dried wild blueberries in the nougat instead. I wish Abby could have cranberries, I think a mix of cranberries and dried blueberries would be terrific in this if you are nut free and corn free.


First, let me say, I am a pretty tidy cook at this point in my life, but after making the nougat it looked like 12 teenage girls had a baking party in my kitchen! LOL


Second, it was easy, as easy as the divinity. The key is to make sure your candy thermometer is accurate and you have a strong hand mixer or kitchen aid- it is a lot of mixing.

Here is the link to my inspiration recipe- Nougat Recipe via Love to Know Cooking.

As usual I had to tweak a couple things. First, no almonds, easy I used 1 1/2 cup dried wild blueberries instead. Second, no cornstarch! So, I used potato starch instead. Third, no corn syrup! So I used Lyle's Golden syrup instead.

I was able to equally sub so no conversion measurements on my first batch- whew! :-) We ran into a major problem though- nougat is too hard for Abby to chew!



These pic's are from my second batch. We quickly figured out with the first batch that the nougat was too hard for Abby to chew(TMJ and her jaw easily dislocates, jaw breaking chewy candy is bad!) So, with this batch after I had whipped the egg whites, I added 1/4 cup blueberry syrup(warmed up I had made some the other morning while I was making ginger syrup) and mixed it in well before I started adding and blending the hot sugar syrup. We are both a bit disappointed that they did not color pink from it! LOL But, it made them firmer then a marshmallow but easy enough for her to chew and enjoy :-) It turned out chewier then a 3 musketeer but not too much. The recipe below is for the "firmer, chewier" nougat. Nougat like Divinity and Marshmallow can respond to humidity and your batch may turn out slightly different, but it still should be yummy!

Ingredients for Blueberry Nougat Recipe

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon potato starch plus enough to dust a pan
1 cup Lyle's Golden Cane syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade, I bet almond extract would be great!)
1 1/2cup dried blueberries
Instructions:

Prepare a baking pan with foil, making sure to extend the foil over the edges.
rub sides and bottom with grapeseed oil and then dust with the potato starch and set aside.
In a saucepan, combine the sugar and the 1 tablespoon potato starch.
Add the Lyle's golden cane syrup and water and mix well.
Cook mixture over medium-high heat until it boils.
Be sure to constantly stir with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar.
Use a candy thermometer and cook until mixture reaches 286 degrees F.
You will want it to reach the soft-crack stage, which takes about 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat.
In another pan, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Gradually pour hot mixture over the egg whites,and then beat on high for about 3 minutes or until it is well blended.
Add vanilla and continue to beat until it becomes thick and less glossy.
Beat for another 5 minutes, then stir in dried blueberries.
Turn nougat mixture into the pan lined with foil.
When nougat is set and firm, use foil to lift it out of pan.
Cut or break the nougat into pieces.
store it in a tightly sealed container.

FYI- this recipe did not have a pan size so I prepared a 8x8. Next time I might prepare 2 8x8 pans would be easier a bit thinner I think. Though, for our "soft Abby version" it worked fine. I also powdered my hands with potato starch and patted the candy down in the pan to smooth out the top some.

Abby has been chocolate free for months now, and I have been chocolate free mostly too along with her. However, Sara is still enjoying the chocolate. Last night she had some chocolate melted for dipping and dipped some nougat! WOW! That was delicious, not just because I had not had chocolate in forever, but really really yummy!

On the corn allergy groups there are a few brands of chocolate that are corn-free, but chocolate is a histamine trigger or high histamine(I can never remember which!)and the few that Abby tried that were corn-free she reacted to. So for now, she has eliminated it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo