WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Giant Tapioca Pearl/Coconut Pudding(dairy free, soy free, corn-free, gluten free)



Another find at the Vietnamese market was the large tapioca pearls- when I grabbed them I had no idea what I would use them for... at first all I could think about was bubble tea, but then I thought it might be interesting to make tapioca pudding with them-

Hopefully this pic below shows how huge these pearls are! At least 5 times the size of the quick cook tapioca pearls.


The question was, how in the world do you cook these monster size pearls to make them tender in the pudding? Again I thank the blogging world! There were a few bloggers out there who had already done the experimenting for me, so after reading a few different takes on how to "cook" them I was ready!

3/4 cup large Tapioca pearls
Large pot of boiling water.

I waited until the water came to boil(I used my standard noodle pot and filled 3/4 full of water) and threw the cup of pearls in. I stirred now and then to make sure they were not sticking to the bottom, each other or sides. I boiled for 35 minutes uncovered. I then took them off the heat and covered them. 1 1/2 hours later I opened the pot. Most of the pearls were translucent, though some with a tiny dot of white in the center. I poured these into a strainer and just gave a quick rinse with hot water. I was worried if I did not rinse them some of the syrupy stuff that was thickening in the pot would give the pudding a bad texture, but if I rinsed too much it might destroy the integrity of the pearl- so a quick spray and leave them alone to drain while I prepped for the pudding. They are now ready to be used in the pudding.

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink himalayan
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon coconut oil
coconut whipped cream

Heat a double boiler over high heat(I used a large pyrex glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water). When the water in the bottom of the double boiler is at a rolling boil, add sugar, salt, eggs, and coconut milk and coconut oil. Stir constantly and do not allow the mixture to burn or boil(my pyrex is thick so it took longer and did not stand a chance of boiling). Cook the custard for ten minutes. Add the rinsed tapioca pearls and cook and gently stir for another 5-7 minutes, you might note a slight thickening. Remove the top of the double boiler from the heat and allow the custard to cool.

When the custard is cool, add the vanilla.(at this point you could also stir in some shredded coconut if wanted) Pour the custard into individual pudding cups and cover , and put the pudding cups into the refrigerator to chill. I poured it all into a big old jar I favor for keeping puddings in the fridge.

When the tapioca pudding is completely chilled, serve with the berries of your choice and coconut whipped cream. This recipe serves at least 6 but I would say closer to 8 servings!

I am not a tapioca fan, but Derek and Abby are and they thought this was terrific! So if you love those regular tapioca pearls, this might be a dessert you will like too.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo