WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Gluten Free, dairy-free, Corn- free Fake "Cornbread"



Yep- cornbread with NO CORN! I had sifted some chickpea flour and did not want to waste the coarse flour I had separated out, so mixed it with some millet flour and decided it reminded me a lot of cornmeal. The chickpea flour can be "beany" to some taste buds, but it really worked well in this recipe. I am sure it work just the same without sifting first. Abby of course cannot have butter but for the sake of taste testing I took one for the team- a bit of margarine or butter, some honey- a bowl of chicken chili? You will never miss "corn" again!




GLUTEN FREE "Fake" CORNBREAD
1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup millet flour
3 Tablespoons of sugar(Domino's)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder(Hain's)
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or melted coconut oil
2-3 beaten eggs(more cake like with 3 eggs, more crumbly with 2)
1-3 Tablespoon honey (if you like it sweet add all 3 tablespoons or just 1 and increase the granulated sugar, I used 3 tablespoons of the honey)
1 cup rice milk or coconut milk
(grease 8x8 pan with coconut oil or grapeseed)
(you can also add a dash of turmeric to the dry ingredients to make the color more yellow)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt) together in a med. bowl and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the eggs, rice or coconut milk, and 1/4 cup oil. Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Pour into baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.

4 comments:

roxyfoxy said...

Do you think this would work with a couple of flax or chia eggs?

Diane said...

You know, I haven't experimented much with egg free cooking. I have made this with just 2 eggs and it is more crumbly but still quite good! If Abby ever lost eggs I would definitely try it with flax or chia egg, I think it would hold together enough to still make a great corn-free cornbread, but just my best guess.

roxyfoxy said...

I made this tonight and it came out great! I did the following:
For GF flour mix I used 1/3 millet, 1/3 oat, 1/3 tapioca.
For milk I used canned coconut.
For oil I used grape seed.
For eggs I used 2 flax eggs. I made sure the water was very warm and let them set for about 10 min. I added them to the wet ingredients last.
I did not add turmeric and I didn't need it. The color came out nice and yellow and has a very corn bread like consistency. The taste is very plain, but dipped in maple syrup it is so yummy. Approved by my kids and even my SAD parents.

Diane said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing it works without eggs! :-) I have been trying to figure out what flour I could add to give it a little more flavor, it is a touch plain. But a little maple or local honey? Safe homemade margarine or butter(for those lucky enough to eat it! ) it isn't bad at all. It is a favorite of ours and I just made a batch last week myself. I threw the leftovers in the freezer for stuffing at a later date.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo