WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Navy Bean Nofu

Of course I did.


We love the chickpea, but my pantry is busting at the seams with all sorts of dried beans and I was just too curious to see how different/similar Navy bean nofu would be!


First I threw a bag of dried Navy beans in the Ninja- My goodness! Grinding beans is the loudest use for the Ninja- I swear it could wake the dead! The poodles flew to hide in the darkest corner of the house,they think beans in the Ninja is far more dangerous that horrible vacuum! LOL

I decided I was only going to use the super super fine flour. Which meant a lot of sifting, and sifting and sifting with a super fine screen.(so I had some time on hands)I was left with a bowl of coarse bean chunks and almost an equal amount of super fine bean flour.

(Next time I use besan/chickpea flour for nofu, I am going to take the time to super sift it too!)

I put the fine flour aside to soak for nofu, but I wasn't sure what to do with those coarse bean chunks- I wasn't going to just throw them away!

Finally I could not come up with anything "fun" so decided I would throw them in the pressure cooker with water for an hour.

This is what I got from the chunks! A super super smooth and silky puree!


Which made me want to do something with it! My corn allergy group suggested brownies and hummus- of course my sweet tooth decided HAD to make those brownies!


With the puree I was able to reduce the amount of "fat" and still get a moist Brownie- super easy and fast gf,cf,sf,df semi nutritious brownie!

Blondie Beanie Brownie


2 cups gf flour
1 cup white bean puree(well cooked white beans pureed- dried safer then canned)
1 tsp. baking powder(Hains)
3 /4 tsp. salt(we use pink himalayan)
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4- coconut oil
2 cups packed golden brown sugar(Domino's)
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla(Homemade or safe option)

How to make it

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Flour and grease (I used a 8x10, but you could easily use a 9x13)
Sift flour into a bowl. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and baking
soda. Set aside. In mixing bowl, place soft coconut oil(doesn't have to be melted but can be)
and add sugar, mixing well. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well. Add pureed beans, and mix well.
Add flour slowly, blending. Batter will be thick.
Spread in pan.
Bake for 25 − 35 minutes.(smaller pan means thicker brownie needs a few more, a 9x13 would be done faster.) These may be a tiny bit wet in the center - that is okay! My oven is a bit wonky, so really watch them after 25minutes. The beans seem to make the brownies need a few extra minutes to cook.
*Can top with icecream and maple topping, could add safe chocolate, or nuts.. or even 1/2 cup of shredded coconut? Flavor with your choice of extract-

I still had puree left so I decided to freeze it. No idea how that is gonna work out, but was curious to see if when I thaw them they will stay as smooth.

So back to the Nofu.

I followed the chickpea recipe. Right off the bat when I started the cooking I realized that the Navy bean's did not need as much water- next time I will reduce the water by a cup when using the Navy Beans. I am wondering if I use a finer chickpea flour if it will need less water too? I suspect it was the "type" of bean and not the texture of the flour, but guess I will find out! :-)



It did not firm up as "firm" as the chickpea, I hate to use the term "gelatinous" but it is soft and had some "jiggle". It is much milder in flavor and of course sooo smooth. Today I am going to try to "whip" some like you can with a silken soy tofu. I am going to try to dry fry it as well- though I cannot make the slices as thin due to it's softer texture. Regardless, this will work great in all our baking recipes to up the nutrition for Abby. You know I will have to try to make Nofu Butter out of it too!



I suspect I will go back to chickpea nofu- a better product overall from a texture standpoint and nutrition one.I think I am going to grind my own chickpea flour next round, I want to try roasting the chickpea's first to up the flavor. We have also grown to love that beanie flavor as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo