WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Spicy Biscuits and Gravy



We had a couple leftover dinner rolls from the Living Without recipe I tried and shared the other day. Yesterday I made more of Abby's chicken breakfast sausage recipe.

Just made sense to make Biscuits and Gravy with the leftovers.

Biscuits and Gravy for 2

2 stale(or fresh,but a good way to use up daily old rolls) gluten free, dairy free,corn free,soy free, nut free rolls or biscuits

2-3 cooked chicken sausage patties(I posted a great recipe for these a few days ago- soooo easy to make safe low fat homemade sausage!)
crushed red pepper flakes
cayenne powder
salt
coconut oil
rice milk and coconut milk(rice milk is too watery and coconut milk on its own can have a strong coconut flavor, but an equal amount of both is a nice blend. Feel free to use whatever milk you prefer this is what we like though.)
gluten free all purpose flour blend.

I crumbled the chicken sausage into a pan that had a bit of coconut oil. Sprinkled with pink himalayan salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cayenne(we like spicy gravy!)

Browned for a few minutes.(my sausage was pre cooked,but the browning allowed them to absorb some of the spices I added better and of course got it hot again to make your gravy)

In a 2 cup measure, I mixed 1/4 cup gluten free flour with 1 cup of coconut milk.(with a whisk, blend till there are no lumps!) Turned the heat on my sausage up to medium/high and pour the milk flour mix into the sausage.(Keep stirring briskly with the whisk to avoid lumps!) I had 1 cup of rice milk ready, and as the the gravy thickened as I was continuously whisking I added rice milk until the gravy was just right for Abby(she likes thick, but still pourable). I apologize, but I have never followed a recipe for gravy! I always keep extra milk or water beside the stove when I make gravy just in case it gets too thick I can thin it.

That easy- that fast and used up the leftovers in a really delicious way!

Dairy free, corn free, gluten free, soy free, nut free.. and Abby said you would never know.


You could add onions or veggies and saute during the browning, but we are kind of purists when it comes to biscuits and gravy. :-) This is our version of junk food and even during the days when we ate allergens it was considered a treat and comfort food.

1 comments:

Betsy said...

So hungry now!!!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo