WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie cfgfdfsf....




We are starting to plan our Thanksgiving menu. Pie is a huge part of our Thanksgiving. I always make at least 1 pumpkin and then a fruit pie of some sort. Abby isn't able to eat pumpkin,(and no cinnamon either!) but she can eat sweet potato!

I have never made a sweet potato pie. I think I have only eaten it once or twice, not something that is served in the pacific Northwest. What I remembered about it was that it was rather bland.. We like a very spicy pumpkin pie, I end up usually tripling the spice in the recipe.. So today we decided we better give it a trial run to make sure we can make something delicious for Thanksgiving dinner.


First up- a gluten free/corn free/soy free crust- I used this one that I found on the M.A.G. blog.
1 1/4 cups High Protein Flour Blend(I used an all purpose gf which had some millet in it, maybe if I add teff or chickpea flour too it would make it a bit more tender)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup palm shortening(I use spectrum someone who is gluten-free just said this product may be gluten contaminated,she recommended considering the Jarrow Brand instead)
1/4 cup cold water
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar(braggs)

In a large bowl, sift together the flour and the salt. Cut in the shortening or margarine with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles pea-sized meal. Add the cold water and vinegar all at once and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a piece of wax paper(avoid if corn-allergic! Parchment is often a better option). Knead two or three times and form into a ball, dusting with a little flour as needed if the dough is too sticky. At this point you can wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for about an hour before rolling (but you don't have to... I often don't have time for this step so I skip it). Place another piece of wax paper on top of the dough. Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle, or about an inch past the edges of your pie plate.

A pretty standard crust- I have used it before and the crust can turn out a little "hard" instead of crisp.. thinking I may add a tablespoon of coconut oil to get some "crisp" instead of just hard. Overall, it holds it's shape well and tastes fine, and best yet it rolls out really well. As far as gluten free, dairy free, corn free pie crusts go, this one is reliable.

Preheat oven to 375

Then to the filling- first I peeled and chopped two large sweet potatoes and boiled until soft. I drained and pureed quickly with just the hand mixer.

To the sweet potatoes you add:
1/2 cup light brown sugar (we have been using Domino )
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk or evaporated coconut milk(this time of year I usually have one or the other.. I bet 1/2 cup coconut yogurt would work fine too)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves (You can reduce the spices to taste,but we like high flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt(pink himalayan)

Blend it all together and pour into your premade crust. place in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes. The center should be close to set. Stick in fridge overnight.

Serve with Coconut whip cream. Just place a can of full fat coconut milk(no additives- golden star works well) in the fridge the night before. Spoon the hardened cream into a chilled bowl. Add a few sprinkles of sugar, a dash of vanilla and a dash of cream of tartar. Whip for just a few seconds till you get peaks- this isn't like egg whites! Quickly place back in the fridge it will firm up a bit more.

I think I will work with the pie crust a bit more, I would definitely serve this one to company, but I would like to conquer something a little bit more tender.. I bet Abby, Sara and Derek won't mind me whipping up a few pies as practice!


2 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Yum! I think we need to introduce coconut and fingers crossed that kids tolerate it! You've got so many recipes that use coconut that I want to try. In the meantime, is there a good alternative to the coconut?

Diane said...

The only thing I would think that would be even close would "almond" you can use almond milk, almond butter, almond flour.. but I bet you guys are nut free too? Abby has reacted to tree nuts in the past, so considering her hypersensitive state we eliminated nuts. She reacts badly to seeds(a couple months ago we tried, no go, asthma from opening even a package.)

I hope they can do coconut- If Abby could not have rice, coconut, eggs- that would shut my bakery down I am afraid! :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo