WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Warm Spiced Pear Sauce and gf Sugared Pie Crust Dippers!


Super Allergy friendly.. great for kids...and grownup's too!

Pie Crust Dippers-

1 1/4 cup gf flour blend( I used my gf all purpose)
2/3 cup COLD palm shortening plus 1 generous tablespoon of coconut oil(solid,not melted!)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt(don't skip! the salt offer a fab contrast to the sugar)
2-3 Tablespoons ice cold water.
Sugar for sprinkling(if you can find a safe large crystal really pretty! this pic was just normal old domino's granulated sugar)

The only hard part of this recipe is cutting that palm shortening- I keep mine in the fridge and it is like a rock! I end up using a fork and kind of grating bits off until I have 2/3 cup(I press the bits down gently in the measure as I go).

Cut the palm shortening and coconut oil into flour and salt. I do this with two butter knives or pastry cutter but by hand. I just have never gotten used to making crust in a processor though I am sure you could.

Once your fat is well distributed(again that shortening is going to be some work to cut in, be patient). Add 1 tablespoon cold water at a time until it comes together(less water is more so add more if you must but too much water makes a tough crust). It won't ball up the same as a wheat crust, but at this point I use my hands and form a ball when it sticks nicely I cover it tightly and throw in the fridge for 1 hour.

While you are waiting for your crust to chill, you can make your pear sauce.

3-4 pears
1/3 cup water
Ginger syrup(you can use ginger powder instead and add additional sugar)
1/4 cup sugar(you could skip this with sweet and ripe pears- you know we like sweet here!)
1/2 teaspoon allspice
shake of nutmeg
shake of mace
(you are welcome to use cinnamon, but Abby cannot have it so we don't)


Peel,dice and core a few pears.(I used bartlett because that was what was in the fridge needing to be eaten.)
In a saucepan add all the ingredients. Add as much ginger syrup as you would like, this will depend, ours is homemade and the level of intensity varies. You can always add more later on. Cover and simmer on medium low heat until pears are tender.

This took almost an hour- keep an eye on it, you don't want to let it burn. If you notice you have very juicy pears go ahead and simmer uncovered to evaporate some.

Turn it off and stick it on a back burner while you work on your dippers.

Now to Roll the Dippers-
I have found rolling gf crust between sheets of parchment paper works best for me.

You will want to roll your dough to the same thickness you would for a pie crust.

Once rolled, remove the top piece of parchment. Sprinkle the pie crust with water(to make the sugar stick!)and sprinkle sugar(you could add spice like cinnamon if you wanted) to cover. I used a pizza cutter to cut long slices.(cookie cutters would be fun too!) I used a spatula to transfer them to a cookie sheet covered in parchment.

Bake at 350 for 12-17 minutes- this will vary on how thick you rolled your dough. We liked crisp and lightly browned.

Set your Dippers aside to cool(if not using now, once cool store in airtight container- mine were still crisp after a week)

Finish the Pear Sauce
;
If your pears look like they are too juicy(mine were, less juice equals firmer pear sauce which you want.) go ahead drain off some pear juice- I saved that lovely spiced juice I am certain I will find sometime to use it in later this week. I threw the tender chunks in the blender- and quickly blended- Done! If they have cooled off too much you can reheat or chill.

We liked the warm spiced sauce with the Dippers.


Dippers would be good with pumpkin dip, pudding, any sweet dip you can think of!


4 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Drooling! I really want to do this one. Couple questions... do you think butter could replace the shortening? And how do you make ginger syrup? My son can't do cinnamon either. I haven't run across anyone else that reacts. People look at me funny when I tell them it makes his lips/face swell.

Diane said...

Yes, I think butter would work, I see "butter' used in crusts all the time. My first instinct would be reduce the amount of butter as it "spreads" . But, since Abby is dairy free I have always avoided too much baking over the years when it calls for butter- sure love the stuff though! :-)
Ah ginger syrup- that stuff is awesome! I Think I have a blog post to candied ginger and ginger syrup= basically, you peel the raw ginger root, dice or finely slice, and simmer in lots of sugar and some water for a few hours! until the fluid starts to really reduce... Abby LIVES for this stuff.. I really think if she ran out in the middle of the night she would come wake me up to start another batch! LOL The diced ginger is pulled out and tossed in lots of sugar and air dried- Both good! Abby has been loving "allspice" (which is actually a singular spice,not a mix)it is her favorite cinnamon sub - then she loves mace, then nutmeg and of course ginger!

The ginger helps Abby's stomach- if you cannot find a link on my site, there are a ton out there, just let me know and I will grab a few for ya

Kristy Williams said...

We're just starting to branch out the menu with things like spices/seasonings/oils. We had to focus on the basics for a long time. Now we have around 40 foods and feel like we can splurge with actually flavoring food. So far son seems to tolerate ginger and I love fresh ginger hot tea for tummy and taste. The syrup sounds easy, which is always a bonus!

Diane said...

Here is a great blog that walks you through making candied ginger and ginger syrup. :-) http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/2009/03/25/homemade-candied-ginger-ginger-syrup-and-ginger-ale/

It is easy and Abby said it really does help her stomach. :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo