WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Fast Leftover Bread Pudding (gluten free,dairy free, corn free )



In the Pressure Cooker!


I had leftover Teff bread, leftover eggnog, and some coconut yogurt. Leftover Gluten free bread is ideal for bread pudding. It dries out fast and absorbs liquid like mad! I bet leftover gluten free rolls, waffles, or pancakes would work well too!

5-6 slices leftover gluten free bread
1 cup dairy free eggnog
1 cup coconut yogurt
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(mace, nutmeg and/or ginger if your eggnog is not spicy,we pack our eggnog full of spice so more spice was not necessary.)
tinfoil
6 inch metal spring form pan or other metal bowl of similar size.


I put a layer of teff bread(about 5 large slices total) in a small 6 inch spring form pan that I greased with grapeseed oil.


In a bowl I mixed her coconut eggnog(1 cup), coconut yogurt(1 cup) and coconut milk(aprox 3/4 cup). I also added 1/4 cup brown sugar, a teaspoon of homemade vanilla extract and gave it a good mix.

I poured about 1/3 of the eggnog mix over the bottom layer of bread. I added a layer of peeled, sliced raw pear. Then another layer of bread, another 1/3 of the liquid mix and a second layer of sliced pears. Then a final layer of bread and poured the last of the liquid over the top. I sprinkled a few tablespoons of brown sugar over that for good measure. Covered the springform pan in tinfoil tightly.


In my pressure cooker I poured 1 cup water. I placed a metal rack in the bottom(mine came with it, but you could also use metal canning jar rings, you just need something to set the pan on so it is only partially in the water and not sitting on the bottom)then placed my tightly tin sealed bread pudding in the pressure cooker. Cooked for 15 minutes on high and let it come down on pressure on it's own.

Done- that was it! For best results allow to cool to room temperature and reheat and top with a scoop of whipped coconut milk, or coconut ice cream(I had coconut eggnog ice cream- wow!)

We could not wait for it to cool and it was moist,sweet - with the pears just cooked but still firm for some texture. Not bad for using up leftovers!

The major advantages to the pressure cooker are how fast it cooks, and that all that moisture is trapped in your pudding guaranteeing a moist and tender pudding.

Next time for a prettier presentation, I am going to use a layer of sliced pears on the top in a spiral. Since when is bread pudding pretty though? :-)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo