WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Susan's Bread




Susan is a member of my corn-allergy group and shared a recipe for peasant bread wishful that it could be made gluten free. This was a no-knead recipe that truly is about as easy as bread could get... I agreed, a fast, no brainer loaf of safe bread would be terrific.


Not just gluten free, but rice, potato, and corn free! A challenge I could not pass up! My first loaf I used my gluten free flour and teff flour. I had a mixed results, I suspect I used too much water. Still, it was promising.



Today I tried making a loaf without potato or rice flour. I really did not expect anything "good" to come of it, but to my surprise we got a loaf of bread that we not only could eat, but enjoyed! Clearly, a short and flat loaf but I did not have the right pan for this- and I think next time I will add honey instead of sugar. This very much reminded us of a whole wheat flavor and we used to love honey wheat. I still prefer using the bread machine and will likely make a similar loaf with tweaks that I can use in the bread machine, but I know lots of folks don't have a bread machine so winged it here. Not my area of strength, but if I had a special gluten free bread loaf pan I think this would work great for a sandwich bread. So far though my attempts without a bread machine usually look like this loaf! LOL This would make good finger sandwiches! :-)

Usually, I would not "share" a recipe that wasn't quite right, but since this was unusual in that it did not take any rice or potato flour and used my newest flour "Mung Bean Flour" I decided to go ahead. Maybe someone better with yeast breads then I can make this in a better size/shape to make a sandwich with it!


1 cup teff flour(I used brown but ivory or red is fine too)
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup mung flour
2 Tablespoons sugar(domino's)
1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon guar gum
3/4 cup warm water

(proof yeast)
4 teaspoons yeast(2 out of 3 of the packs of red star)
1 tablespoon sugar(domino's)
3 Tablespoons warm water


First proof your yeast using the 2 teaspoons yeast, 1 Tablespoon sugar and 3 Tablespoons warm water. Stir it and set aside while you get everything else ready.

In a bowl mix teff, mung, tapioca, sugar,salt,grapeseed oil and guar gum well. Add proofed yeast and the additional 3/4 cup water. Mix well. Should be a thick batter(like a thick brownie batter), not quite a dough.

NOTE: This bread would work best in a special gluten free bread pan(they are a more narrow pan with taller sides).

Grease a loaf pan or oven safe bowl. Grease it really well this stuff likes to stick. Spread batter in greased pan and allow to rise until doubled in size.(30-1 hour) Place in pre heated oven at 350 and bake for 20-30 minutes.

1 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Too many new ingredients for us, but looks yummy! I didn't know there were gf loaf pans.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo