WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Taro Blueberry Cake Corn free, Gluten free and dairy free


So I had some of that taro puree I posted yesterday left. Nervous energy and just on a tear!

The cake rose nice and fell out of the oven. At first I was disappointed it "fell" but I happen to be a fan of popovers, and souffles,they both "fall" and still taste good so I pushed forward. I was planning to just use marshmallow frosting on the Taro cake, but when it fell it reminded me of a store bought shortcake cup just begging me to fill it up with something!

I had blueberry jelly/syrup(frozen organic blueberries,water,sugar and fresh lemon juice, cook and reduce,cool, blend it, strain it and ready to go.) I had made that needed using up, so filled up that dip, some marshmallow frosting. Plopped the top on, a smear of the blueberry syrup and piped the rest of the frosting.

The texture was a very fine crumb, moist and dense- We were very pleased! Kind of a mix between a sponge cake and a pound cake- hard to explain, moist,dense and tender fits best!



Taro Cake

2 Cups of the Taro Puree/mine turned out like pudding texture,if your puree is thicker you can increase coconut milk to 3/4 cup,but still should turn out without increasing as this is an exceptionally moist cake..( I made on my last blog post(boiled mashed taro,coconut milk, sugar)
1/2 cup taro flour( or rice flour)
1/2 cup gf flour blend
3 eggs
1/2 cup grapeseed oil(you could use melted coconut oil)
1/2 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar (domino's)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
zest of one lemon****
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)

Without any particular order I dumped it all in a bowl and blended it. Poured into two 8inch round greased cake pans. 25-30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Frost with Marshmallow Frosting.

I used the blueberry sauce I had on hand already, but be creative, try orange marmalade,raspberry jam,strawberry, apple pie filling- just heat it up and pour it on... I poured some between the layers and on the top. You could warm up any jam or jelly and it will thin up enough to spread it on. I thought a cherry pie filling in the center, almond extract in the cake, and chocolate frosting? WOW That might be too much! Our next one will be coconut something! :-) A lemon curd filling instead of blueberry would have been terrific too!

I used a throw away piping bag, but you can just stick the frosting in a big ziplock bag, and cut a corner off- presto! Throw away piping bag!





**** With the blueberry sauce, though the crumb was fine and moist texture it did not have much flavor with just vanilla. I love lemon with blueberry and the zest really made a nice combo. But if you opt not to use blueberry you might want to leave out the zest unless it goes with your new filling choice, try another flavor. Maybe almond? or Coconut? Mix and match.

1 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Looks so yummy! Makes me want to trial taro.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo