WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Teff and Taro Pancakes(gf,cf,df,nf,)

Teff and Taro PanCakes




I haven't cooked with Taro, but I have eaten it.. You might be familiar with the funky Poi in Hawaii?(Not a favorite!)or how about Bubble Tea?

Taro is very starchy. Which means great for baking right? It is basically a "tuber" and you can use it like a potato or turnip or yam.

It is very important to remember like many tubers, you MUST cook it completely and NOT eat it raw. After that the sky is the limit!

The taro has a faintly nutty flavor. It is very subtle. I think it has less flavor then an Idaho potato which makes it ideal to add "starch" to baking. Down the road I will try some stew or fries? I made a basic "taro sweet Puree." I simply boiled the peeled and thinly sliced taro just like a potato. Drained, and then mashed it with coconut milk and for "sweet" puree I also added sugar. That easy.



1 whole "large taro"(there a lot of varieties. The smaller ones(younger) are a bit higher priced. They are also more tender and when I try out their "savory" side I will likely use them.)
1 can fullfat coconut milk(or equivalent fresh made)
1/2 cup sugar

Peel,slice and boil Taro root until tender. Drain. Mash slices with sugar and milk. I had a few lumps so I strained mine to get a very smooth puree. I bet you could throw it all in a blender instead to get smooth, but straining worked fine and was easy.


This will make more then 1 cup of taro puree. Around 4-5 cups. I made a few things and doubled my pancake recipe(below) to have extra to freeze. I also put 1 cup in the freezer to see how it holds up until I need it for some other baking adventure.

TEFF AND TARO PANCAKES
(Always use ingredients that are safe for your allergies)
These turned out better then I could possible imagine. Delicate flavor, sooo moist and tender. Almost like a super tender pumpkin cookie! Next time I might add some spices.
1 Cup Taro Puree
1/2 cup Teff flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil(grapeseed or melted coconut)
a couple tablespoons water
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon guar gum(I added it because I had no idea of the texture.)
1/4 teaspoon salt.
(coconut oil to cook them in.)
Mix all ingredients but the water until well blended. Depending on how thick it is, add water to get the consistency to a pancake like batter. This seems to be a bit more glutenous then regular pancake mix.

When you pour the batter into your skillet to make a pancake, use a spoon to spread the batter. I found it helped it cook more evenly as it doesn't spread itself as quickly as standard pancakes.

Cook a little lower and slower then a traditional pancake, but just like a regular pancake flip when the bubbles start to pop and stay open and the edges appear dry. A little more finesse needed to flip these. I found them to be soft and took a gentler touch to flip without making a mess. Enjoy- these really are Delicious.

Nutrition values of Taro- I went to Nutrition and You. They have a good coverage of Taro root. Here is a quick nip on nutrition-

Health benefits of Taro

Taro or dasheen corms have more calories than potatoes. 100 g provides 112 calories. Their calorie mainly comes from complex carbohydrates known as amylose and amylopectin. However, they are very low in fats and protein than in cereals and pulses. Their protein levels are equivalent to that of other tropical food sources like yam, cassava, potato, banana etc.

The corms, however, are free from gluten. They feature high quality phyto-nutrition profile comprising of dietary fiber, and antioxidants in addition to moderate proportions of minerals, and vitamins.

It is one of the finest source dietary fibers; 100 g flesh provides 4.1 g or 11% of daily-requirement of dietary fiber. Together with slow digesting complex carbohydrates, moderate amounts of fiber in the food helps gradual rise in blood sugar levels.

Taro leaves as well as yellow-fleshed roots have significant levels of phenolic flavonoid pigment antioxidants such as ß-carotenes, and cryptoxanthin along with vitamin A. 100 g fresh taro leaves provides 4825 IU or 161% of RDA of vitamin A. Altogether, these compounds are required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes, skin and vision. Consumption of natural foods rich in flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.

It also contains good levels of some of valuable B-complex group of vitamins such as pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), folates, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and thiamin.

Further, the corms provide healthy amounts of some important minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper, iron, and manganese. In addition, the root has very good amounts of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure.




2 comments:

Linda M. said...

I have try this. They look delicious. You are so creative! Thanks for the benefits information.

Diane said...

Some days I realize Abby's journey did me a huge favor! I have really enjoyed exploring new to us foods. The western diet is sooo limited. I am finding foods that other cultures have used forever are better for our health and work perfectly in "western" style food. (and often taste BETTER) Taro is definitely a new favorite around here! :-) So easy- no harder then fresh mashed potatoes! Why I did not make some myself years ago is beyond me! :-) We are really fond of Teff flour too! Terrific nutrition profile and with the extra protein and mild flavor I now add it to my gf all purpose flour.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo