WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Yep, I did - Chickpea Pie (gf,cf,sf,df,nf)



Gluten free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, nut free...


What do you do when you are dying inside for Pecan Pie but you live in a nut free and seed free home? You use chickpea's.


This morning we were watching Alton Brown and he mentioned that you can find roasted chickpea nuts being used in various Countries instead of nuts in their desserts-

Abby and I looked at each other and knew we were making them.

Roasted Chickpea Nuts
-
1 can of chickpea's(I used dry, and cooked them in the pressure cooker first)
grapeseed oil to coat
salt(pink himalayan)(if you are using these for pie, very lightly salt, I over salted mine and wish I had not.)

Rinse the chickpeas well. Lay them out to dry(I placed them a clean dish towel to air dry for a bit.)

Once dry, put them in a bowel and coat with grapeseed oil(or olive)and salt.

Spread on cookie sheet and set oven to 350. The recipes say anywhere from 20-50 minutes. About every 10 minutes I would use a spoon and move the chickpeas around.

Mine took longer because I pressure cooked. They will start to turn a nice light brown. I taste tested as I went. Abby likes them still a tad soft but crunchy on the outside, I prefer them crunchy all the way through.

Crunchy they reminded me of an easy to chew cornnut! Really shockingly good!

We already have plans to make a spicy batch. Healthy, tasty, crunch portable snack.

I have been dying for Pecan Pie. So we went for it. Instead of pecans in my favorite pie recipe I used the roasted chickpea nuts.

I won't lie to you, it wasn't the same- but it sure was good :-)

Chickpea Pie

Crust-
1 1/4 cup gf flour blend( I used my gf all purpose)
2/3 cup COLD palm shortening plus 1 generous tablespoon of coconut oil(solid,not melted!)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt(don't skip! the salt offer a fab contrast to the sugar)
2-3 Tablespoons ice cold water.

The only hard part of this recipe is cutting that palm shortening- I keep mine in the fridge and it is like a rock! I end up using a fork and kind of grating bits off until I have 2/3 cup(I press the bits down gently in the measure as I go).

Cut the palm shortening and coconut oil into flour and salt. I do this with two butter knives or pastry cutter but by hand. I just have never gotten used to making crust in a processor though I am sure you could.

Once your fat is well distributed(again that shortening is going to be some work to cut in, be patient). Add 1 tablespoon cold water at a time until it comes together(less water is more so add more if you must but too much water makes a tough crust). It won't ball up the same as a wheat crust, but at this point I use my hands and form a ball when it sticks nicely I cover it tightly and throw in the fridge for 1 hour.

Roll and make crust. Place unbaked pie crust in the fridge while you make everything else.



Chickpea Pie Filling

INGREDIENTS

1 cup packed light brown sugar, dark muscovado sugar, turbinado sugar, or light brown sugar(I opted for dark brown sugar)
2/3 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
4 tablespoons coconut oil, plus more for coating the pie plate
3 large eggs
1- 1 1/4 cup roasted chickpea nuts(I used 2 cups in my first pie- WAY too many!)
1 Tablespoon homemade vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon store bought.
1/4 teaspoon fine salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the sugar, syrup, coconut oil, in a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly and scraping back in any foam that clings to the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm, at least 15 minutes.(if the syrup is too hot when you add the eggs the eggs will scramble)
Beat the eggs in a small bowl until the yolks and whites are broken up and incorporated, then beat into the cooled syrup. Add the chickpeas, vanilla, and salt and stir to combine. Pour into the chilled pie shell.
Bake until the filling is set but still slightly wobbly in the center, about 40- 50 minutes. Cool the pie completely on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature with whipped coconut cream or vanilla coconut ice cream, if so desired.



1 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Your creativity is inspiring!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo