WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fig and Yogurt Shortcake(gf,dairy free, soy free, corn free,nut and seed free,egg free)




One of the foods I have really struggled with is the "gf biscuit." I have found that a drop biscuit tends to come closer to the flaky tenderness we are looking for , but then we miss the tall structure of a cut biscuit.

A couple weeks ago I went ahead and bought some steel food forms. We have seen them used for plating food and figured if we made a batter like biscuit we might get the result we were after. We did! The forms I bought are very heavy and with no seams. These baked the biscuits perfectly. Already we are wondering what else we can use them for, if anything plating a dish can turn a good dish into an extraordinary dish. Abby appreciates food that looks as good as it tastes, and it is a skill I need to work on. :-)




I used a basic gluten free drop biscuit recipe(coconut oil, gf flour, baking powder,salt, and coconut milk.) I did add a couple tablespoons of granulated cane sugar since I knew I wanted to make a shortcake.

The other day I had made homemade fig newtons for Abby with some great dried figs I had ordered. I had a jar of the newton filling leftover in the fridge but you could use any safe fruit preserve.

We always have coconut yogurt in the fridge. It is a staple for Abby at this point. The fig and coconut yogurt together with the light, tender biscuit made a beautiful and fast breakfast.

Sometimes the simplest foods are the best foods.

Biscuits
Fig preserves
coconut yogurt
fresh mint and homemade powdered sugar to garnish.

2 comments:

Kristy Williams said...

Mmmm. I'm starting a kitchen wishlist of the things that would make life easier, functional and add some zest. If I'm gonna live in the kitchen, stores and recipes, I might as well enjoy it. It's taken me too long to embrace this scratch life and about time I did since its our reality.

Diane said...

Here is the link to the ones I bought on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-4-Piece-Plating-Forming-Stainless/dp/B000NLLG86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359984081&sr=8-1&keywords=Kuchenprofi+4-Piece+3-Inch+Food+prep%2FPlating%2FForming+Rings+in+18%2F10+Stainless+Steel

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo