WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, February 15, 2013

Gluten-Free Tamarind Carrot Spice Drop Cookies



Abby's potassium is a bit low so needed to figure out what to feed her this week to help that and I needed to do a fridge clean out. I knew I wanted carrots involved in whatever I made. Carrots are a reasonable source of potassium and I bought a ton at the farmers market.

Then I spotted the Tamarind- figured I have eaten some delicious lemon and carrot dishes, so figured the tart tamarind would work well with carrot too. I also had a jar of candied ginger I needed to use- I have a fresh batch of candied ginger drying and I can only store so much. Figured ginger always goes well with carrot..


Threw it all in the Ninja- ended up with a tasty and tart bowl of brown/orangish paste. Tasted great! However, I knew I needed to add sugar, it was a little too tart!

Haven't made cookies in awhile. My first impulse was a filled cookie sandwich.. but, when the first batch came out they were too puffy to make a good sandwich. Luckily topping with a bit of a glaze worked out fine. They also worked perfectly as a nice cookie layer with the last of the vanilla pudding that also needed to be eaten.

Tart,spicy, sweet. Texture like a pumpkin cookie. These were good and besides my excessive use of sugar, they were packed full of goodness. Tamarind,carrot, ginger, blackstrap molasses are all loaded with terrific nutrition. Right on the edge of a few too many flavors I think, but with the glaze or the pudding the tremendous amount of flavor was refreshing and complex.


1 cup of whole carrot(roughly)
3 Tablespoons of Tamarind(I buy the block of tamarind fruit- pick through carefully for seeds!)
3 Tablespoons blackstrap molasses(I used Plantation brand)
1-2 Tablespoons of candied ginger depending on how spicy you want they are very spicy with 2!(you can substitute a teaspoon or two of powdered ginger instead)

1/2 cup granulated sugar(domino's)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar(domino's)
1 egg
1/4 cup melted coconut oil(I used spectrum)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt(I used pink himalayan)
2 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend

Preheat oven to 350

In high powder blender(my ninja) place carrots,tamarind,molasses, and candied ginger. Puree till smooth scraping down sides as needed. Once smooth you can scrap into large mixing bowl and add sugars, egg, coconut oil, vanilla and baking soda- mix well. Lastly stir in flour till blended.

Drop by spoonful on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes(you want this a touch soft still). Glaze with a simple powdered sugar, vanilla and water or like I did with some coconut yogurt with a bit of powdered sugar to sweeten.



Store in airtight container.

2 comments:

Reagan Leigh said...

Sounds SO good! I really want you to adopt me so I can be your taste tester!!

Diane said...

LOL! Most of the time Abby cherishes the role of taste tester, but she will warn you, every now and then I push the weird food a little too far! :-) These were good though and low fat.. so good for Mom too!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo