WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pancake(waffle) Cones.(Gluten -free, corn- free)


Gluten-free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, nut free, seed free. No Special equipment required.


Abby must think I have a magic wand somewhere because she asked me to make her waffle cones- I had my doubts, but she was confident I could figure it out..

I have 3 waffle makers, but all either mini's or square Belgium waffle. I decided on a batter and gave that square belgium maker a try- Epic Failure! Of course I realized that I also needed something cone shaped to shape the waffle on(at this point I had my serious doubts) I dug through the kitchen looking for something that would work while I tried to think about how to make a "waffle" cone without a waffle maker. I stumbled on a plastic school folder. Cut it and rolled it into a cone and taped it shut with some duct tape(yep, duct tape is good for everything!). A little worried that the duct tape is corny, but guess we will find out! Once I conquered the "cone" my confidence was up and decided to treat it like a pancake-crepe. Took a couple tries but we got close enough to call it a success. It holds the ice cream and you can eat it- that makes it perfect!

Gluten-Free Pancake Cones
Ingredients:
1 whole large egg, room temperature
2 egg whites, room temperature
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup granulated sugar(domino's)
¾ cup gluten-free flour all purpose blend.
2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted or 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil(I used grapeseed.)


–Directions:
Beat the egg, egg whites and salt in a small bowl with a fork.
Add the sugar and beat until the sugar is incorporated. Add flour, ¼ cup at a time and beat until all lumps are gone.
Add the oil and stir until well blended.

Spoon aprox 2 heaping tablespoons into the center of a preheated(medium/medium low thin and slow cooking yields best results)non-stick large pan(lightly grease) and gently using a spatula spread it thin into a circle that is slightly oval- get it as thin as you can without seeing the pan.

Bake according to your color and preference(about 2 minutes each side, but will depend on thickness and heat and pan density.

If you don’t bake long enough they won’t be crispy but if you go too long they will burn or crumble apart too easily.(don't worry as long as they are cooked enough to wrap and hold their form once cool a little less crispy doesn't ruin them)

It will take a few tries for you to get the hang of it. The failures taste delicious as a crumble on ice cream!

Quickly remove the "pancake" from the pan and move it onto a clean dishtowel or cloth(I managed with bare hands but it was very hot!). Use that to help you roll the cone or place it over a small upside down bowl to shape it into a waffle cone bowl. I held it for a minute or so until it was obviously cooling, then placed the cone with "pancake" on it seam side down on a flat surface to keep it's shape until it cooled completely.

Even once you have figured out the recipe/technique, they may be a bit thick and not quite as crisp as you would likely get using a special maker – but that won’t diminish their flavor.

Store in airtight container.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo