WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sugar and Spice Candied Roasted Chickpea's


When you cannot have soy,dairy,seeds,nuts, corn and many other foods it is incredibly difficult to find easy snacks. Thankfully, Abby not only digests chickpeas reasonably well, she really loves them. Roasting chickpea's gives them a light crisp texture like a very delicate version of a corn nut. I buy dried chickpea's to make ours. I soak overnight. Then cook in the pressure cooker. Then I dry them on a clean towel. I toss them in grapeseed oil(be generous!) and a bit of pink himalayan salt. I roast in the oven at 250 degrees. I stir every 10 minutes. The slower you roast these the better the crisp texture gets. A sheet usually takes about 1 1/2 hours. Really, Abby is pleased with them at this point for a snack food. However, since these are our replacement for "nuts" I have been trying some different uses. I posted a few months ago about a Chickpea (pecan) pie which turned out terrific. Last week I saw bags of candied pecan's at the grocery store and figured I could candy some roasted chickpea's for Abby. These turned out beyond delicious. The egg white and sugar mix gives each one a sweet and spicy coating. Plus, besides the sugar these are nutrition packed! Egg white and Chickpea are protein loaded. If Abby wasn't allergic to nuts and seeds I would have never thought to make these- for once I am glad for an allergy!

2 Cups roasted chickpea's
2 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon allspice(or cinnamon)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

250 Degrees


Grease a large cookie sheet.

In large bowl whip egg whites to the soft peak stage.

In smaller bowl mix sugar with spices well.


Pour the chickpea's into the egg white and stir gently till all are covered.

Then a few at time spoon into sugar mix and move around till covered. (mine clumped together and I broke some apart once on cookie sheet)

Place on greased cookie sheet- spread evenly across sheet.


Place in oven at 250 degrees and every 10 minutes stir. Once they start looking "dry" and are browning, I checked mine every 5 minutes. Aprox 1 hour till crisp.

1 comments:

Circus of 6 said...

Sounds yummy!! I may give this a try next week :)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo