WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gluten Free Angel Food Cake




So about 4 yesterday afternoon Abby finally decided what cake she wanted for her birthday. Angel Food. My heart sunk. Out of all the things I have learned to bake with and without substitutions, I have NEVER made an Angel Food cake.. sigh. Turns out I did not have a tube pan either. Well actually I have 4 miniature tube pans(4 inches!)but not what I needed, so despite closets and cabinets brimming I had need for yet another new pan! So off I went shopping after dinner to grab what I needed.


I did some googling and gathered a whole bunch of tips. Fresh Eggs, medium peaks, patience and gentle folding in of the flour,make sure the flour is cake flour, and the most important was superfine sugar.


12 egg whites at room temperature.. Well that left me with 12 yolks! 3 or 4 I can whip up some pudding or ice cream- but 12? I ended up using 10 of the yolks for a double batch of lemon curd(I made a dairy free version using coconut oil instead of butter and the recipe is posted on this blog). Whether anyone wants the lemon curd with the cake isn't an issue, it keeps well in the fridge for 2 weeks and surely I will find something to smoother in lemon curd over the next couple weeks.


The recipes I studied were not gluten free, but I have found if it calls for 1 cup or less of wheat flour it is generally okay to swap straight across for gluten free. Most of the traditional recipes were consistently calling for 1 cup of cake flour. I measured 1 cup of my all purpose gf blend and removed 2 heaping tablespoons- I then added two heaping tablespoons of potato starch- that helps it be more similar to cake flour(or so I hoped!)


It turned out terrific- shockingly. Abby said she absolutely had faith I could do it, but I saw myself heading to the farmers market at dawn to wrestle up some more eggs- I was certain it was going to take at least 3 attempts :-) Grateful I nailed it the first time around.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups sugar(domino's)
1/4 teaspoon salt(pink himalayan)
1 cup cake gluten free flour, sifted(remove two tablespoons of the all purpose gf flour and replace with 2 tablespoons of potato or tapioca starch)
12 egg whites ( room temperature though separate them when the are cold)
1/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon extract of your choice(we skipped this, Abby is reacting to booze right now so my homemade version is out)
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In the ninja or other high speed blender- blend sugar a minute or so(I split the sugar and did half at a time, about 30 seconds in the single serve cup) until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the gf cake flour, putting the remaining sugar aside.

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine egg whites, water, extract, and cream of tartar. Once combined, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating the whole time at medium speed. Take it to the medium peak stage, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the whipped whites. Using a spatula and fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.

Gently spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 30-35(better a hair overcooked then under cooked,raw angelfood cake is icky!) minutes checking for doneness with a skewer(or a knife?). Skewer will come out dry when baked completely.

Cool upside down on parchment lined tray or cooling rack for an hour before removing from pan.

Easy Glaze

2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon clear extract(fine without!)

2-3 tablespoons potato starch plus 1/4 cup water.


In saucepan, heat 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar and extract. Stir and heat until all sugar is melted and it is a simple syrup.

Mix the potato starch(or tapioca or arrowroot) with the 1/4 cup water. Stir into simple syrup, stir rapidly as you slowly add. Heat until it thickens and remove from heat. Dip fruit or berries and chill on lined cookie sheet- transfer to cake when chilled. Alternatively pour glaze over fruit and berries (if you are making a tart etc.)you could also use a basting brush and brush the fruit and berries.


(Abby has always said she NEVER wanted to get older, so each year we randomly pick how old she is, as long as it stays in the single digits she is happy! LOL)

1 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Abby!!!!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo