WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Sorghum Puffs- Flourless. Dairy- free, corn-free, soy-free, gluten-free.



Last year Abby reacted badly to some sorghum flour we tried. We "think" that the flour was corn contaminated. So, last month I decided before we ruled out sorghum(she does super well with blackstrap molasses so..) I would try it again. We bought sweet white sorghum grain. I figured if I ground it myself we would reduce the likelihood of corn contamination. I ground it into flour in the ninja single serve and sifted it to remove anything coarse. Thankfully(after that much work)she tolerated it well. We have tried it a couple more times and so far all has gone well, that is except my enthusiasm for grinding it! Yesterday was pantry clean out day and I found a small partial bag of the sorghum grain. Rather then toss it(too lazy to combine with the new bag)I decided to boil it just to see what the whole grain(minus the hull, white sorghum simply has the hull removed) sorghum would taste like. It reminded us a lot of a super mild barley. Which would be great for a soup down the road, but I had a pot of cooked sorghum and no plans on how to use it. I decided to see how well it would puree in the Ninja. I have successfully used pureed rice for making a few different things so figured worth a try. It pureed very smooth which was a bonus. So now I had a bowl of pureed sorghum, and still had no idea what to do with it. Finally, this morning I remembered that Japanese Milk bread uses basically a flour/water thick rue to make a softer bread. Then I realized I had just made bread so seemed silly to make another loaf(gf bread is always best fresh). Not sure what inspired it but decided it reminded me of cream puff batter before you add eggs. Why not? I just added some oil(instead of butter) and cooked it together till it had evaporated some and was sticky dough like I remembered. I was a little shocked when they turned out great- but now I know, I don't need flour to make cream puffs. I have a bag of teff grains and millet, and next time I cook the grains for a side dish I will be putting some of those aside to puree for cream puffs too.


(Picture of the pureed sorghum grains)


1 cup pureed cooked sweet white sorghum grain

2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil

2 eggs

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 dash's of salt.

Preheat oven to 425


In saucepan combine grapeseed oil and sorghum puree. Heat on medium high heat and whisk the whole time. Once it gets to where it is bubbling somewhat keep cooking till it starts to hold it's own shape- it will get stiff and more elastic. (aprox 4-5 minutes). Remove from heat. While whisking vigorously add one egg at a time. Once both eggs are incorporated whisk in baking powder and salt. Should be thick enough to pretty much hold it's own shape when spooned.


On parchment lined baking sheet, spoon sorghum dough by the spoonful at least 2 inches apart.


Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off oven and leave puffs in oven till the oven is cool. This helps them dry out a bit further.


Fill with whatever you like. We have been on an egg salad kick, so today we threw in egg salad. When you cut them open, if there is any soft wet doughy stuff just scrap it out, this will help your puffs stay crisp longer.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo