WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Gingered Rhubarb Pear Crumble(gluten free, corn-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg free)



I have very fond memories of the clump of rhubarb in our back yard.. checking it daily to see if the stalks had turned red enough. My Mom would give us a little bowl of granulated sugar to dip a stalk in and chew it. I think it was our version of dip a stick candy. Tart and sweet and whether raw and dipped and sugar or turned into a sauce on ice cream, or best yet a rhubarb pie it is one of my favorite.

Rhubarb is high in C, vitamin K and fiber. It is a veggie(yep veggie) that actually is better from a nutrition standpoint to cook. As it breaks down more your body is more able to digest and absorb it's tart goodness. This is new to Abby but I haven't found it listed on any of the histamine lists, so ruling out an allergy(you never know with Abby)this is hopefully one that gets to stick around.

I thought about a pie, or sauce because I really wanted to do something different. After consulting with Abby though, we decided a crisp was the best way for her to try it. Easy, familiar textures, easy ingredients and if she hated it or reacted I promised I would not waste a crumb! When we make a crisp we basically make the same topping you would top a dutch Apple pie with, so more a "crumble" neither Abby nor I tolerate oats.

Grapeseed for greasing
1½ cups rhubarb (I had some frozen)
1½ cups peeled and chopped fresh pears
1 teaspoon powdered ginger(I had some I dried and ground last week)
2 teaspoons crystallized ginger
3/4-1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like your dessert)
1/3 cup gf flour

For topping:
1 1/2 cups gf flour
1/2 cup brown sugar(domino's)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt(we use pink himalayan)
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger(if wanted)

Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease 8 x 8. Cut rhubarb into 1” lengths, and mix with pears,3/4 cup sugar, powdered and crystallized ginger, and flour. Mix gently. Place in baking pan.


Combine flours,sugar and salt. Cut coconut oil(or spectrum palm shortening)into flour blend. I use my hands and press and crumble flour and oil mix across the top of the rhubarb and pear mix.

Bake for 30 minutes on 350.


NOTE: The Ice Cream is homemade vanilla bean made with coconut milk(high fat)sugar and egg yolk. I allow the beans to sit in the ice cream mix while it chills in the fridge, before I pour it into the ice cream maker I just remove the beans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo