WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Chickpea's and Coconut BreadCrumb Cake


Today I was checking my pantry to see what I was running low on and realized I had managed to dry and save a ton of gluten free breadcrumbs. I figured there had to be something interesting I could cook with bread crumbs. After browsing a number of recipes I found a few vintage recipes for breadcrumb cakes. I believe a few were dating around 1920. Up until recently(last 20-30 years) most people could not afford to waste food and I thought trying to make a cake using breadcrumbs would be interesting..

I have been wanting to make a frosting that did not involve powdered sugar for awhile and figured while I was in a creative mode this would be a great time to give it a try.

The cake turned out tasty, different but good. It clearly is very textured and dense. It was also sweet, and moist. I think if I make this one again, I might opt to add some fruit or sweet potato to the mix and spice it up a bit.. The fact that it is basically egg, bread crumb and and sugar- well it turned out great.

Now, the icing that was great on all sorts of levels. The only unfortunate part was that I did not have as many roasted chickpea's as it should have had. I probably had 1/4 cup chickpea's but wish I had a full cup to add.

Overall a great experiment. The frosting especially will come handy for future cakes.


Ingredients:

4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 c coconut milk
1 1/4 c sugar
2 1/4 c oven dried and toasted gluten free bread crumbs

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Grease a cake pan.
2 Briskly beat together the eggs, extract,coconut milk, and sugar. Stir in the bread crumbs.
3 Put batter evenly into cake pan. Bake for 1/2 hour.
.


Coconut and Chickpea Icing
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup spectrum palm shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)
1/2 cup chopped roasted chickpea's
1 cup flaked coconut

Directions:

In a large saucepan combine coconut milk, sugar, egg yolks, coconut oil and vanilla. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat and stir in chickpea's and coconut. Spread on cake while still warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo