WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gluten Free Pita's (No puff!)

(Not for Abby! She wanted just hummus in her pita, and that just doesn't make a pretty picture! So threw some fresh tomato's and basil from the yard into these)


I have made what seems like a zillion gf pita's- with a huge failure rate(really huge!). I am apparently cursed to never get consistent puffing of my pita's. So, instead of fighting failure I embraced it. Can't beat um, join them. I let these rise enough to be fluffy and then baked. Once cooled I cut in half and slice them open. The pita will be elastic and tolerates cutting well.(I used a small bread knife to cut them open). I like to throw them in the oven to warm before serving.


3 cups gf flour blend
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon guar gum

1 packet yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water

1 egg
1 cup warm water.


Proof yeast with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/2 cup warm water.

In large bowl, combine flour, salt and guar gum. When yeast is proofed add egg to yeast and mix. Pour egg and yeast mix into flour. Mix, add 1 cup water. (you want it soft but firm enough to shape, so add more water if needed).

Allow to rest 15-20 minutes.


Form into aprox 8-10 balls. Roll out each into a round about 1 inch thick. Place on greased cookie sheet and cover with saran wrap. Allow to rise in warm place till fluffy.(aprox 1 hour)

Preheat oven to 500. Bake 8 minutes. Flip and bake another 3-4 minutes till golden. Allow to cool until you can handle them. Cut in half and then using serrated knife cut each half open into a pocket. Make sure you cut them while fresh and still warm. Gf breads tend to dry and crumble over time, and these will not cut into a pocket as easily the next day. Store in airtight container. Always best on the first day, but fine for a couple. We like to warm them in the toaster oven before serving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you please post your gluten free flour recipe. How many cups of each so I can make some of your things. Not sure how you do it and that makes a big difference in the end product....esp if new to this.

Diane said...

I use: 3 1/2(a red bag from the asian market is 4 cups and sometimes I am lazy and throw the whole bag in, never has hurt anything yet) cups fine rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, 1 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1 cup tapioca and 1 cup Teff flour. I also will use sorghum instead of Teff on occasion(depends on what I have in my cabinet to use). You can add 4 teaspoons of guar gum to the mix as well. But, I try to limit gums and just use it for various recipes like bread that turns out best with it included. No reactions for Abby however to it, and sometimes I add it to the main mix if I know I am making a lot of bread that week- it has never hurt a recipe that doesn't specifically call for it. Just depends on your comfort level- personally, I would mix it into every batch if I wasn't worried about Abby reacting down the road.

Anonymous said...

ok gotcha on most of this....the fine rice flour....is that white rice flour...don't have an Asian market within 150 to 200 miles so not familiar with what it is and I usually grind our flours.
tia

Diane said...

Your white rice flour will work fine, I just try to give folks a good idea of the type of flours I use. I use fine white flour as a standard at this point. But I have used a more coarse grind(but still fine) with no issue.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that rice has a lot of arsenic due to the way it is harvested...killing tops first...then harvesting...potatoes are the same way. What is your take on that.

tia

Diane said...

You know, I think you are right that it may have varying levels of arsenic. Same with potatoes. But, you know, I think any food if we dug around long enough would have some sort of danger associated with it.
We have definitely wondered what we would gain if we eliminated them- right now because of her limited diet, we hesitate.
I think both of those foods would concern me far more if she were under the age of 7 and still growing, I suspect the arsenic is far more of a concern for growing children then adults.. Who knows? maybe 10 years from they will say we were stupid to eat it, or stupid not to eat it.. :-) at the end of the day, she doesn't react to either, nor is she allergic to either- two very good reasons to keep them in the diet, though perhaps reduce the amount of them in her diet. :-)

Anonymous said...

sorry didn't mean to sound judgemental...but was wanting someone else's take on it. With all my kids allergies..I struggle hard...and am always second guessing myself.

Diane said...

Oh goodness! So did not sound judgmental to me! :-) You just brought up my own internal argument I have with myself ... I wonder the same thing you do...

But, for now I am just hoping I am making a good choice by letting her to continue to have it..

It would be so much easier to cut it out without all the food restrictions, wouldn't it?

:-) Food allergies are awful.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo