WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Gluten Free Savory Mushroom Bread Pudding. (corn-lite, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut -free, could be egg free easily)

The one thing that I have learned with making gluten free bread is if it is not eaten the first couple days it becomes hopelessly stale. Which means we often have leftover slices of bread.

From bread crumb cake to making my own stuffing and italian bread crumbs, oh and of course sweet bread pudding I am kind of running out of ways to use stale bread.


A couple months ago I spotted a recipe for Savory Bread Pudding- my knee jerk reaction was "yuck!' but the more I thought about it(and the more stale bread that was stacking up) I decided why not? When I make stuffing for the holidays we all fight for the softest and moistest bits so figured it was worth a try- and so glad I did! Really really tasty.



Mushrooms are a "new" food for Abby. We removed them a couple years ago in the middle of the worst of her symptoms and I have been fearful of adding them back in.. plus, it is one of the few foods I really don't like, I mean really really don't like.. I gag cutting the nasty things! Derek loves them and Abby was wanting to try them. So hopefully they get to stay. Even with my hatred of mushrooms(I admit, I picked the mushrooms out of my serving) this was really delicious- and so easy and it used up a good deal of that stale bread! The recipes I all looked at added 3-5 eggs for the amount of savory bread pudding I made, I used just one, and honestly it would be delicious without any eggs at all! It was crusty on top and mushy underneath, and Abby declared she would rather eat this then stuffing any day! :-)


Aprox 3 cups of cubed stale bread(you can toast if you would like or not. If you toast drizzle with grapeseed oil and toast just till golden)

1 1/2 cup coconut plain yogurt( or dairy if you can-if you use milk instead of yogurt you might want to increase eggs to 3 eggs)
1 1/2 cup water(or chicken broth if you have any, I am out of bone broth right now)
1 egg
1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 small finely diced onion

2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt(depends on broth or water and whether you like more salt, we salt less and allow those who want more to add)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Grapeseed oil

Grease casserole. place bread cubes in casserole. Toss fresh rosemary, fresh parsley,mushrooms and onions with bread cubes. I drizzled a bit of grapeseed oil(just a teaspoon or so) across the top.

In a bowl mix yogurt,egg,water and the rest of herbs,salt and pepper. Pour mixture over bread cubes(the fluid should be halfway at least up the bread crumbs). Cover. Bake for 45 minutes at 350




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo