WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

When I Fail... From Failed to Extraordinary


(Messy casserole or bread pudding is a-okay with us!)

If you have baked with Gluten Free flours you will know that there are a couple issues. 1) gluten free dough can be tough when you try to make shaped breads and pastries. 2)It goes stale so fast!


Last month in the Food Network Magazine they shared a multi purpose sweet yeast dough recipe. Then they shared a few different ways to use that dough. One recipe was a lemon poppy seed twist. Boy, did it look delicious! Plus, one seed Abby can handle is poppy seed. She also does well with Lemon.


This weekend I decided to tackle it to see if I convert the recipe to gluten free, corn free, dairy free etc. They were "okay". As predicted they were pretty good right out of the oven, but once cooled the dough was tough and they staled by the next morning. I admit they were just ugly sad little buns :-) Ugly doesn't bother me if they taste amazing, but this was definitely something I would call a big fail on my part.
(sad buns aren't they? Far from the beautiful twists in the magazine!)


After the work I put into them I could not bring myself to just toss them, after all, the lemon glaze and homemade poppy seed filling were really delicious, it was just that(very) tough bread and ugly presentation.


For years now I have seen "overnight french toast" recipes everywhere. Really, it is just bread pudding when you look at the ingredients.

I figured why not?

We are sooooooo glad we decided to try save those tough,stale rolls- because soaked overnight and baked this morning it created an AMAZING and EASY breakfast custard.



Best, no waste! Plus, what was what I considered a failure, with a little engineering became a huge success!

You could use any stale roll, bread, danish. Since these were already quite sweet when I mixed the "french toast batter" I skipped adding any additional sugar.


Stale Gluten Free Failure Bun Custard


1 1/2 cup coconut milk(rice milk etc)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)
dash or so of salt.
(if using unsweeted rolls or bread, 1/2 cup granulated sugar to batter as well)

Preheat oven to 350

I cut the rolls in half to make sure they would absorb all the milky goodness. I layered them in a greased 8 x 8 pan. I beat together the coconut milk, eggs,vanilla and salt and poured over the rolls. Covered and left in the fridge overnight. This morning I pulled it out and left it on the counter for about an hour to allow to warm up to room temperature. Baked in the 350 oven for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkled with powdered sugar(wasn't necessary,but pretty!). A hit! Or shall we call it an extraordinary save?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo