WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Yuca Dough (Gluten-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free, Corn-free)



I have run across recipes for yuca fritters a few times now. Popular in many South American Countries.

For the most part I have really enjoyed learning to cook with gluten free flours, except when it comes to rolled doughs. Wheat is just better for that... At this point when I see anything to do with pastry with a unique twist I usually have to give it a try. This one I wondered about. From cooking with yuca I have noticed it can be elastic, gluey and I have often wondered if it would help add elasticity to doughs.

This was great and easy dough. Messy, but good.

Out of curiosity I cooked the dough 3 ways. 1) Fried- the best. I am no fan of fried foods, but this method made them crisp, with some sourdough like elasticity - really remarkable.
2) Baked- they cooked fine(375 for 20minutes) but lost the great crisp and chewy I got through frying. They got very "crunchy".. I am tempted to play with this method a bit more to see if I can find a way to achieve a better texture.
3)boiled- just to see what would happen, I patted a thin piece of dough and pitched it into the boiling water. It held together well. The texture was different.. kind of like a boiled dumpling, but the tapioca starch when boiled left a "slimy" layer on top of the dough.. not sure about this method. It held very well in the boil so I may be tempted to re visit this to see if I can reduce the "sliminess" factor.

OF course now I am wondering if I can combine this yuca dough with other gluten free doughs to make a more elastic product.


I opted to pat these into thin pieces by hand. Next time, I will use a rolling pin to see if I can make a prettier finished product, or maybe not.. this dough was so good, no one in my family will need it to be pretty to enjoy it.


Yuca Dough
:
Mashed yuca(smooth dry and chilled for at least 4 hours.)
Tapioca starch.
salt.

Pour a bunch of tapioca starch on a board or your counter. Scoop about 1 cup at a time of the mashed yuca onto the starch. Then start kneading it. It will be outrageously sticky at first, and you will think for at least the first couple minutes that there is simply no way this will work, but it does- just keep kneading and kneading in the tapioca starch till you get a nice pliable ball of dough.


I simply grabbed about a golf ball sized piece and flattened it into a thin round with my hand. I filled it with feta and olives, I filled a few with "pizza like" fillings,(like dumplings, don't overfill and put the items that are more angular on the bottom and the softer stuff on top). I filled it,folded it in half and sealed with my fork(if yours won't stay sealed you can brush the edge with water to get a better seal).


I then fried these for a few minutes on each side in grapeseed oil(just a couple inches in a saucepan). They don't brown as much as wheat they will get crisp with a bit of golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo