WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Blackberry Rhubarb Brownies(gluten-free, chocolate free, soy free, corn-free, nut and seed free)



I had leftover blackberries in the freezer but only about 1 cup. I also had about 1 cup of frozen rhubarb. For those who have multiple allergies and especially corn and chemical allergies it is shockingly hard to find safe berries and fruit. When we do, I put every single bit to good use. When I found the abandoned berries and rhubarb buried deep in the freezer it was clear they were on the edge of freezer burn. So I threw them in the dehydrator. It took longer then I expected to really really dry them, I think about 12 hours. But they were rock hard and dry dry.. they had shrunk to what looked like slivers of rhubarb and coarse ground salt for the size of the blackberries. What to do with them? I decided to grind them in the ninja single serve. To my surprise they ground to a lovely fine powder. I mixed a couple teaspoons of super fine sugar(grind the sugar in the ninja or coffee grinder to get super fine). I was thinking I could make a powdered drink mix out of it.. add it to lemonade? It tasted wonderful. It reminded me of the those candies- I think they were called lick a stick?
Lately we have really been missing brownies. Abby is clearly allergic to chocolate. I have been wondering what "powdered" ingredient I could add to a favorite brownie recipe to replace the cocoa powder... why not the blackberry/rhubarp powder? I have to admit, these were not bad at all! Actually really delicious. Tangy, sweet, and tart and perfect for a great and easy summer dessert. Next time I do think I will double the recipe, we prefer a thicker brownie- I will turn the temperature down a bit.. but, hands down- these are a keeper. Better then that, all those bits of berries and fruits will be now in my dehydrator being dried past the point of dry and then ground into delicious powders - for baking, cold drinks. candy... I think I have a new favorite ingredient!



Ingredients:

1/4 cup coconut oil(tropical traditions)melted
1/4 cup palm shortening(Spectrum)melted
1 cup sugar (Domino's)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade to be corn free,use safe potato vodka,grape vodka or coconut vodka)
2 eggs
1/2 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
1/3 cup dehydrated and finely ground rhubarb and blackberries
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (Hains or homemade)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch square baking pan.

2 Stir together shortening,coconut oil, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Stir together gf flour,powdered rhubarb and blackberry, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

3 Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

I made a frosting of lemon peel,fresh lemon juice, homemade powdered sugar, and palm shortening. Sprinkled some of the dehydrated and powdered berry and rhubarb powder across the top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo