WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Lacto fermented? Cultured ? Pickled? Fermented? Chickpea Nofu/Tofu- yes you can!




No soy, no dairy, no goat, no meat..


We all miss Cheese! The fake cheese made with rice at the grocery store is all corn contaminated.


I have had some good luck blending coconut yogurt and nofu and straining it- makes a nice fake cream cheese.. but the flavor is nice, just not that wonderful aged cheese flavor we miss. That creamy, crumbly, bouncy, stringy- all the million ways that cheese texture comes in.. we miss them all!

Nutritional yeast is all corn contaminated.


I ran across a blog post where they pickled their tofu. I went ahead and made "fake feta" nofu(chickpea tofu) and not bad at all! but again missing that creamy and rich flavor.

A little over a week ago, I decided why not? I strained some of the whey from some coconut yogurt, cubed some nofu and added a salt/water brine. Today, I checked it and I had to taste it! The aroma was rich.. It reminded me of a warm sourdough starter- a tangy richness that is hard to describe..


I am new to fermenting. I am phobic of bacteria, viruses. For years I scrubbed, I steamed and I bleached. We never ate leftovers, and now all the research indicates all those antibiotics, all those chemicals probably hurried along some of Abby's digestive issues. That we need a few bugs in our food, at least the "right" bugs. :-)

So far she handles coconut yogurt. A bit of coconut aminos now and then, and Braggs ACV mixed into a lot of different foods.

Why not fermented nofu?


Nofu Lacto ferment Cheese

I used 2 teaspoons salt per 1 cup water.

It was about 1/3 cup of cubed nofu.(think extra firm tofu)

a couple tablespoons of whey.

seal it up. After 5-7 days check the top- scoop off any yeast or funk(as long as it is white- if it is colored I tend to pitch it out- I am new and my rule for now is white funk(usually yeast that is harmless) is okay funk, colored funk not good!)

between 7 and 9 days it should smell like sourdough starter. I decided mine was ready to taste at 9 days- it was divine! Texture was like mozzarella cheese a bit like Jack.. a bit of tangy borrowed from feta.. a combo of great cheese like flavors!


The only bad thing- it won't melt, but I can fix that! I will blend till smooth with some coconut yogurt cheese- I cannot wait!

Hoping Abby will tolerate this- closest thing to cheese I have made yet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo