WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Twinkies (Gluten free, corn free, dairy free, chemical and color free)



With all the talk about Twinkies back on the shelf, we felt compelled to make Twinkies safe for Abby, and these turned out delicious. No chemicals, colors, corn, gluten, dairy... and still delicious! This recipe is "heavier" like a moist pound cake.. next time I may try a sponge cake. The filling was delicious, but a little too sweet(is that possible?)

I ordered a Twinkie pan from Amazon.


Ingredients
1 3/4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder(Hain)
1/2 teaspoon salt(pink himalayan)
1/2 cup palm shortening, softened(Spectrums)
1 cup sugar(domino's)
2 large eggs
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)

Preheat oven 350

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the shortening and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Reduce the speed and add flour mixture alternating with the coconut milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla extract and mix until the batter just comes together -- don't over mix. Batter should be thick.

Fill your molds with batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are a light golden color and a testing the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Filling:

4 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar(domino's)
1/2 teaspoon salt(pink himalayan)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)
1/2 cup palm shortening(Spectrum)
1 cup powdered sugar.(homemade)

In double boiler(or pyrex set in pot of boiling water) combine egg whites and sugar. Mix and keep on heat until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and using hand mixer on high speed start whipping. This will take awhile, about 4-5 minutes. When stiff, add salt and vanilla extract. Mix till well mixed. Allow to sit until room temperature(you don't want to melt your palm shortening,but if you do, throw it in the fridge till chilled and whip again before spooning into piping bag). Add palm shortening and as much powdered sugar as you need to make a frosting like creme.

Use a piping bag with a long tip. Fill Twinkies on the bottom(flat side)usually in 3 different spots to ensure a good fill.

Unlike real Twinkies, these will not keep on your shelf! :-) Place in fridge and eat. Like most Gluten free desserts, best the first day, wrap tightly to keep for a couple days.

2 comments:

Lauren Harker said...

I have a question. Since I don't have to avoid wheat, I used regular flour. I found that the twinkies are super dense, and when I try to fill them with cream, it doesn't fill the twinkie very well. Should I alter some of the ingredients so that the cake is more airy? If so, what do I add to do that? Use baking soda instead of baking powder maybe?

Diane said...

The gluten free is more dense then the original. I can imagine that the wheat version might be heavy using this recipe. There are a number of terrific "twinkie" versions out on the web and pinterest that use wheat flour and a "sponge cake recipe". As far as filling, that takes practice. My first couple batches were not as full as I would like. I found that leaving them in the pan to fill made it a little easier to fill without them exploding. I found that filling at an angle at 3 or 4 different locations was easiest. I very slowly filled. I stuck the tip as close to the top(inside top) as I thought I could go, and as I slowly filled I slowly withdrew the the tip so it would force more in..

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo