WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Jam Bar's or Jam Cake : " Flop or Adventure?"




I am addicted to the old cookbooks. I have a special fondness for the 40's,50's, and 60's. They used a limited amount of pantry ingredients with whatever was in season or local in some ingenious ways. Usually, I am always thrilled with how easy it is to substitute and the usually common sense and easy to create recipes.

Except for this one, which turned out to be an adventure! :-) Not exactly what I had visualized! Still it was worth a share, if anything to warn folks that if they see this recipe in an old cookbook, it might be a bigger project then anticipated and could very well not turn out exactly as visualized!


This recipe I spotted a few months ago. Basically a sponge cake(think jelly roll) but you bake it right on the jam. Really. What could possibly go wrong?


You smear the jelly roll pan with a mix of jam and coconut oil(they used butter.) and then pour the cake right over the top of the jam and bake.

I knew when I made this it could either go really wrong or really right. It certainly is lacking in attractiveness and would never be fed to guests! IT sure was fun to make though! We made a royal mess. I had stockpiled a few too many eggs so between the cake, the marshmallow icing, I managed to use up a whole lot eggs.


If you need to get your sugar on? This is the way to go!


Honestly, with practice I think this could have turned out better. I did not quite spread the jam evenly. Nor did I bother to spread the cake batter evenly across the jam. This lead to uneven cake, which made trying to stack it comical. Our solution was to cover it in 2 inches of marshmallow frosting! So, we got an almost square blob of delicious raspberry/coconut cake. Maybe if I had fresh berries and a scoop of ice cream I could have hidden some of it's gloriously sweet ugliness.. but it is what it is, and it tastes good! :-)

Next time, I will just make a jelly roll out of it, pretty,easier, and tastes the same.


Not sure I am going to try this one again. I think simply making a sponge cake and spreading jam on it after it bakes would be easier, tidier and prettier! :-) Here is the sorrowful evidence in pictures, recipe follows.









Cake:

Preheat oven to 400

1/4 cup coconut oil(or butter if you can)
1 cup jam(I used raspberry chia jam)

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup gf all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Filling:(I had a cup of leftover homemade rice milk vanilla pudding in the fridge, I mixed in some fine coconut shreds and a tablespoon of melted coconut butter for that extra richness)

Frosting:
I used marshmallow frosting(also known as 7 minute frosting), which was honestly sugar overkill!

Sprinkles: I make Abby sprinkles by piping royal icing,once dry I break into little pieces. I mix homemade cherry juice/syrup into it instead of water.

Melt coconut oil in jelly roll pan. Spread jam evenly with the oil across the pan.

Beat the eggs till lemon colored and foamy. Slowing blend in the sugar. Then blend in vanilla

blend in remaining dry ingredients. Spread batter evenly over the jam in the pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Remove from oven and let stand for a couple minutes.(not too long or the jam won't release!)

after running a knife around the edges of the cake, flip over onto another pan, or parchment paper covered board. I tapped at the pan a bit hoping it would slowly release. After a couple minutes I peaked and the corner was starting to release, so using my spatula I worked the rest of the cake loose.

I cut the cake in half. At this point you could flip the two jam covered sides face to face and you would have "jam bar's".(you could fill with pudding or not) Allow to chill and ice then cut. Or, you can do as I did and cut each half in half. spread some pudding on 2 of the four pieces. Jam side to Jam side. I then carefully stacked the two. So a total of 4 layers. I think had I chilled it, I might have been able to use a knife and squared it up some(or not).

Thumbs up for sugar overkill, thumbs down for poor construction!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo