WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Animal Crackers (gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, corn free)


Animal crackers that are simple,and a cross between a shortbread and a sugar cookie. They are small for little hands, or small so you can eat more :-)

I had planned to make these to attempt to ice them (trying to duplicate a Mother's iced cookie minus the chemicals and allergens) but I was secretly thrilled that these were very satisfying minus the extra work and sugar that icing them would have required.

Usually when I make cookies I don't mind if they spread a bit so I rarely place them in the freezer, but these because they are such small cutouts I did decide to freeze them to prevent any spreading. If they spread at all it really warps their shape.

I think you could cut the sugar by 50 percent and they would likely be just fine.


Ingredients:


1½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
¾ teaspoon guar gum
½ teaspoon baking powder(homemade)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons coconut yogurt(homemade)
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ cup granulated sugar(domino's)
¼ cup packed light brown sugar(we use domino's)
4 tablespoons palm shortening(Tropical Traditions or spectrum), at room temperature
1 extra-large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade)

Preheat oven to 350

Mix all the dry ingredients. Then mix in everything else. You may have to work this by hand to get it stick together into a dough to roll.

Flour the counter and roll out. I used animal cookie cutters by Wilton ( I bought this Set. I think I found mine at Michaels Craft Store)


You can really pack the cookie sheet(lined with parchment) since these puff a bit but don't spread. When I rolled the dough out I left my dough pretty thick. I am going to guess 1/2 inch.


Place cookie sheet(with the raw cookies on it) in freezer for at least 15 minutes. This is really important. These cookie cutters are little so even the littlest bit of spread will distort the shapes and that is just no fun!


Bake for 8-9 minutes.(just showing a bit of golden around the edges)Allow to cool and keep them airtight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo