WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sorghum Cookies/Shortcake- 2 for 1! (Rice Free, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, gum free, nut and seed free)


I have been curious about what would happen if..... I mix this with that.. or if I left out this or that.. would it taste good? Would it hold together? I have had many flops trying different combo's but this one worked. Two things I did differently. 1 you will notice no oil or shortening! I used coconut concentrate(manna) from Tropical Traditions to replace the fat. On one hand it worked. On another hand the cookies are a little dry but cake like at the same time. If you mixed a cake,biscuit,scone and cookie together and over baked it a bit :-) . This however was a lot easier for Abby to digest. Filled with 7 minute icing(egg white, sugar on double boiler then whipped with a bit of salt and vanilla) they weren't bad at all. I prefer a moist,chewy cookie, but Abby really liked them. They were quite light too which made them more interesting. It felt like they weighted only half of what they should.. interesting. The second thing I did differently was I did not use my typical all purpose gf flour blend. I used sorghum,potato starch and chickpea. I almost tried using tapioca instead of potato starch, but played it safe this round. Maybe next time I will skip the potato starch and try tapioca starch instead.

After sampling a cookie I decided that drier texture would be perfect for a shortcake. I used half the dough and patted into a large round,cut into wedges, reduced the heat to 350 and baked it for 30, and presto! It really was better for shortcake I thought.

After I was done filling the cookies I had a lot of the 7 minute icing left. So I piped it onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, turned the oven on 225 and let them bake for an hour. So, one recipe and I ended up with 3 desserts- not bad! I forgot to turn the flash on to take the picture and hours later by the time I uploaded my pic's there wasn't enough left to take another picture.

Cookies/Shortcake Dough

1 1/3 cups sorghum flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder(homemade)
1/4 teaspoon salt(we use pink himalayan)
2/3 cup coconut manna(for moister cookie, use either 2/3 cup butter or 2/3 cup palm shortening instead)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla(homemade)
1 egg
4 teaspoons coconut milk(lite or homemade, we use Tropical Tradition flakes to make ours corn-free)


For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375

Whisk flours, potato starch, baking powder and salt together, set aside. Thoroughly cream coconut manna(concentrate), sugar and vanilla. Add egg, beat till light and fluffy, stir in milk, blend in dry ingredients. Chill about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into balls, roll in sugar(or not) and place on ungreased cookie sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Bake 9-11 minutes. (if it has chickpea flour, make sure they are well baked! Raw bean flour tastes yucky!)

For Shortcake: Oven at 350

Make dough as above. I used half for cookies, half for the shortcake. Roll into large ball. Place on ungreased cookie sheet(I line with parchment) pat it down so it is about 2 inches tall. Cut into wedges. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes.(again, better overcooked then under cooked when using any bean flour- raw bean flour is not tasty!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo