WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Teff and Tapioca Crumble(rice-free, potato-free, corn-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free)



Some families that are corn allergic are so sensitive they are having a very hard time finding safe foods. Gluten free flours are very hard to find that are safe for the corn allergic and the more so for the very corn allergic.


One that has been has been safe for quite a few is Teff from The Teff Company at Teffco.com


Most of my recipes I use my "all purpose gluten free flour" which also contains rice and potato. Rice and Potato are growing allergy concerns for many families.


Lately I have been curious to see which flours can stand alone for what type of dishes. This was a huge success. Honestly, Abby and I decided in the future we may only make our fruit crumbles/crisps with this blend. This was unbelievably rich,nutty almost caramel flavored and a rich full flavor. The pear/ginger fruit with the crumble was a perfect combo of flavors. You certainly will have no idea that this is free of about everything. :-)

Preheat Oven 350

Crumble Topping:

3/4 cup Teff flour (I use their Ivory flour)

1/4 cup tapioca starch

1/2 cup packed brown sugar(I use domino's, coconut sugar would probably work well too.)

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt(we use pink and tend to like a bit more salt in ours)

1/2 cup Tropical Traditions coconut oil.


In bowl combine everything but the coconut oil. Cut the coconut oil into the dried ingredients. At this point I often use my hands to squeeze and crumble the mix together.

I sprinkle on top of my prepared fruit. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Fruit Filling: You can use any type of fruit. I find cooking the fruit or berries most of the way on the stove top, sweetening and thickening as needed before finishing with crumble topping is easier.

Pear Filling:

4 pears peeled and cored, sliced thickly
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ginger(I ground up some of my endless stash of candied ginger I make and dehydrate)
a dash of cloves
a dash of allspice
(or if cinnamon is safe feel free)

In sauce pan combine ingredients. Cook on low. Pay attention closely and gently stir until a sauce has formed. I allow to cook about 15 minutes until the pears start to soften. I don't normally thicken either pears or apples for a quick crumble/crisp. Berries or very juicy fruit benefits from thickening with a bit of tapioca before baking with the crumble topping.

Pour into greased pan and top with crumb and bake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo