WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Candied Salmon and Herbed Coconut Yogurt Cheese


I grew up in the NW eating my weight in salmon. "Candied" salmon was always my favorite and Sara and Abby's too. Though we can make the candied salmon corn-free we have found the histamine load is too much for Abby. However, the rest of us continue to enjoy it. Curing salmon is a piece of cake.

Candied Salmon:

Salmon(for the corn sensitive caution,often rinsed in corny agents)
salt(we use pink himalayan but use what is safe for you)
Dark brown sugar(we use domino's )
local honey.(make sure you trust your beekeeper-some feed their bee's corn syrup and even worse some cut honey with corn syrup!!)

In a plastic container place salmon by layering fillets. On each layer liberally sprinkle with salt (salt is what forces the moisture out of the salmon and helps "preserve" if you opt to use less salt you will need to eat it quicker! )then 3 times as much dark brown sugar. Keep layering. My container looks like salty fillets barely peeking through the packed dark brown sugar . Before putting the lid on it generously pour some honey over the top then seal tightly. Place in fridge overnight. The salmon should be very firm/stiff and will have turned a deeper color in about 8-12 hours. I smoked mine with hickory for about 4-5 hours in my hillbilly file cabinet smoker. I then place in the oven on 350 for 15 minutes to make sure it is "finished". Seal it up and chill well. Delicious and salty and sweet.. What you don't eat in a week will freeze.


The "Cheese" Spread in the picture is coconut yogurt cheese, easy.

1 1/2 cup coconut yogurt(I make it homemade)
muslin(cotton)
strainer. (I use a yogurt strainer basket I bought on amazon)

I line the strainer with the muslin cloth(sometimes I wet it, sometimes not. )

I pour the yogurt in and tie up the cloth. I allow it to "drain" overnight on the counter. In the morning I will squeeze the muslin bundle and the whey will separate and stream out leaving the the good stuff in the muslin. Place it in the fridge for a few hours.(I leave it in the muslin, easier to scrap it off the muslin once it is firm) Once chilled it will firm up to a spreadable cheese. If you want it even dryer you can allow to drip longer. I added some salt and dill to the yogurt cheese and that was it.

The crackers are the buckwheat Le Pain des fleurs crackers. Abby doesn't eat them often but we do keep them for emergency snacks in the car. With just 3 ingredients(buckwheat,salt,sugar) they are at least corn-lite.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo