WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Coconut Whipped Cream Trick- Agar!



The coconut whip cream had been sitting on the counter for 30 minutes when I took this picture.


Coconut whipped cream is annoying. You can kind of get a creamy topping but as soon as it sits for a minute or two it melts. We have tried a few different tricks and just haven't been happy. I have been reading up on agar. We have tried a few brands and haven't been certain that Abby tolerated them. Definitely better for her then either pork or beef gelatin but still. I grabbed some Telephone brand agar at the asian market and we are trying it out with her. Still not certain this brand is safe but have a few more to try.

I read about how agar or gelatin can be used as a "stabilizer" for dairy whipped cream. I figured why not try it on coconut milk? With almost no exception, agar needs to bloom and then be heated to get the agar to gel. In this case I was able to blend it in while still in it's dry form. Seems to have made all the difference! Now and then I will taste a tiny tiny bit of grit, but unless you really look for it we don't find it to be noticeable. I might try a little less agar next time to see if I can get the same holding texture, but this worked very well and for the first time the dessert could sit on the table and not start melting the second the air hit it. :-)

The other advantage to agar over gelatin is that agar is more temperature stable, and boy does coconut cream need a little help. Coconut products are very temperature sensitive so anything to help combat that will take you a long way.

I felt it looked better when I piped it. It spooned well but wasn't quite as smooth looking as regular dairy whip.






WHIPPED CREAM RECIPE:

Ingredients:

1 cup cold coconut cream(when you chill either homemade or canned the cream will separate and get hard on the top that is what you want)
3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar(homemade or a trusted corn-free brand)
1 teaspoon agar agar powdered (I used "Telephone" brand found at most asian markets)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade with potato vodka for corn-free)


Whip coconut cream.(Just a quick twirl it blends fast!) In separate bowl blend together the powdered sugar and agar. Add confectioners sugar and agar agar to the coconut cream. Continue whipping until well blended. Chill for about 1 hour. Once chilled whip again before serving.


AGAR: NOW brand has agar and I will likely try it next. I believe Barry Farms also carries an agar powder but I have not tried it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo